Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2015 03:00

Dell inspiron 15R n5010 no sound, Windows 10

I have dell 15R (N5010) and have problem with audio drivers. When i upgrade to Windows 10 my audio drivers doesn't work and no have sound. I spoke with Microsof community, he send me to dell... It's rly funny because dell leave users of older laptops because they no have profits for that. The warranty is over so bye :) Someone can help me?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 9th, 2016 13:00

Warning to anyone reading this thread:

Make sure you know your model name before installing a driver!

The subject of this thread is "Dell inspiron 15R n5010 no sound, Windows 10". The problem is that there is no model with that exact name. There is an Inspiron 15 N5010, and an Inspiron 15R N5110.

They are different models and use different drivers. In other words, the audio driver for the N5010 is not meant for the N5110, and vice versa.

To complicate matters, somebody named aimeehuang posted in this thread and put in a link named "dell 15r n5010 drivers download". But if you click on the link it goes to a page for Inspiron 15R N5110.

The person named "aimeehuang" is not a regular on this discussion board and probably got the model names confused.

Check your model name. If you have an Inspiron 15 N5010, use the IDT R280657 audio driver. It is meant for Win7, so install it into Win10 using compatibility mode (instructions below).

If you have an Inspiron 15R N5110, use the IDT 6.10.0.6421 audio driver. It is meant for Windows 8. It might install without a problem into Win10, but if there is a problem, install it using compatibility mode (instructions below).

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive..
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7 (or Win8 if you are installing the Win8 driver for the N5110).

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 24th, 2015 06:00

The warranty is over so bye

Hello. Dell does not give free software support even under the warranty, so it did not cut you off from support because your warranty had expired. However Dell does provide this forum where you can receive free software support.

When i upgrade to Windows 10 my audio drivers doesn't work

What happened when you installed the new Windows operating system is that your IDT audio driver was removed and was replaced with a Windows native audio driver. The audio driver that is not working for you right now is the Windows one. So you have a problem that Microsoft created by removing your working IDT driver and then by replacing it with a non-working Microsoft one. Then to make matters worse they won't support it and sent you to Dell to fix the problem they created. Pretty hard to understand how this is Dell's fault.

Okay, here are a couple of things you can try. First try the solution that Mulder42 put into his reply to you in the other thread you posted in yesterday. What his solution does is to replace the Windows native audio driver with a different version of it. The different one seems to work. (In his reply he mentions "High Definition Audio Device". That is the name of the Windows native audio driver. The name of the IDT audio driver is IDT High Definition Audio Codec, but that will not be in your Device Manager now because the Windows installation removed it.)

If Muldar42's advice does not help, then use compatibility mode to install an old IDT audio driver. The IDT company is no longer in the consumer audio business and has not written any audio drivers for Windows 8.1 or 10 (which is probably one of the reasons that Dell does not recommend putting Win10 on the N5010), so you have to use the IDT R280657 version meant for Win7, but install using compatibility.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive..
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

7 Posts

November 24th, 2015 18:00

Obvious there is some problems with your sound drivers. When upgrade system, there are some drivers will not compatible with the new system, it is normal. And first, you can try to find the right audio driver from here: dell 15r n5010 drivers download. And if this can not solve your problem, you can try to use driver doctor to helps scan you cumputer, and then it will recommend you the right audio driver for your system.

1 Message

August 9th, 2016 11:00

I have dell 15R (N5010) and have problem with audio drivers. When i upgrade to Windows 10 my audio drivers doesn't work and no have sound. I spoke with Microsof community, he send me to dell... It's rly funny because dell leave users of older laptops because they no have profits for that. The warranty is over so bye :) Someone can help me?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 9th, 2016 12:00

The warranty is over so bye

Hello. Dell does not give free software support even under the warranty, so it did not cut you off from support because your warranty had expired. However Dell does provide this forum where you can receive free software support.

When i upgrade to Windows 10 my audio drivers doesn't work and no have sound.

I have dell 15R (N5010)

The Inspiron 15 N5010 model has IDT audio hardware on the motherboard. The IDT company is no longer in the consumer audio business and has not written any audio drivers for Windows 8.1 or 10 (which is probably one of the reasons that Dell does not recommend putting Win10 on the N5010), so you have to use the IDT R280657 version meant for Win7, but install using compatibility mode:

10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

I have dell 15R (N5010)

Note: there is no model with that exact name. There is an Inspiron 15 N5010, and an Inspiron 15R N5110. The driver I linked to, up above, is for the N5010, not the N5110.

No Events found!