Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2012 11:00

Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 switchable graphics problem

Hello,

I just got a laptop Inspiron 15R SE 7520 and I'm having some graphic card issue. Technically I was suppose to have the AMD graphic card working, but when I look at the configurations I see 2 video cards: One that is an Intel HD integrated card and the AMD. The one that it's working is the Intel. How do I make the AMD work instead?

Thanks,

Shanthosh

September 10th, 2012 12:00

Quick fix that worked for me. When the laptop is plugged in, and an application is set to high performance in switchable graphics, setting the application profile for that to specific application to "use application settings" will *maybe* let the radeon to take over instead of the Intel gpu. I couldn't run skyrim on anything above low because I had set anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering both to high via catalyst control. I changed the application settings under the gaming tab in catalyst and it will now run at about 30fps on high settings.

Hope this helps.

44 Posts

September 11th, 2012 02:00

I have got the same problem over here.

I installed Rev A01 Graphics and BIOS Rev. A04,

but I don´t have these Possibilities... the view you describe, does simply not exist in my CCC...

September 12th, 2012 12:00

Hello,

I am having the same problem like many.

I have updated the BIOS to version A04, and I found that it was a big mistake I did it.

Because by updating my BIOS, I lost all the diagnostics tools that I had with my previous BIOS version (factory installed).

Now I cannot change the graphics to AMD graphics.

I also tried the link you have shared for the latest graphics drivers, I installed them on my 7520 SE,

but like others, even I don't find an option to change the graphics to high performance mode.

Please suggest a satisfactory solution to the problem.

Second thing,

how can I get my old BIOS back?

I guess it was lot more useful than the new one that I recently installed (A04).

I found it nowhere on the dell website.

It is not there in the drivers and utilities' disc that was shipped along with laptop.

1.8K Posts

September 12th, 2012 15:00

Hi prasad_ins7520se and bbesly,

Inspiron 7520 and later models with AMD Switchable Graphics have PX5.0 design. It is a "Muxless" hardware design and supports only Dynamic Switchable Graphic function. That means, it cannot fix the video card to either onboard or the discrete card. In this mode, the user does not directly control which graphics device to be active. The device is determined by the Catalyst Control Center based on the application profile settings and the default rule. The BIOS cannot be flashed to the previous version as it is not available.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2012 04:00

Same problem, but i Only have POWER - PowerPlay And Switchable Graphics ,Dont have switchable graphics mehtod..... i have latest amd control center, tired of playing games with intel graphics when i have ATI inside.... 
Thanks , Raido 

4 Posts

September 13th, 2012 04:00

Hi Shanthosh,

Inspiron 15R SE 7520 has an onboard Intel Graphics Card and a discrete AMD Radeon card. The laptop is designed in a way that the Intel video card stays on by default and the AMD video card only turns on when graphic intensive applications are run. This feature is to save the battery.

To use AMD Switchable Graphics, please follow the steps provided below:

1. Click the “Start” button and select “Programs.”

2. Click “Catalyst Control Center.”

3. Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”

4. Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

5. If you want to permanently turn on the AMD Switchable Graphics, Click on “Power” tab and then on “Switchable Graphics Method.”

6. Check “Select the graphics processor manually or based on power source”

7. Click on “High-performance GPU” and click “Apply.”

Please reply to this message if you need further assistance.

Same problem, but i Only have POWER - PowerPlay And Switchable Graphics ,Dont have switchable graphics mehtod..... i have latest amd control center, tired of playing games with intel graphics when i have ATI inside.... 
Thanks , Raido 

2 Posts

September 13th, 2012 08:00

hi... same problem, only got Power Play and Switchable Graphics .... where to find "Switchable Graphics Method"

and how we know when at "“High-performance" the AMD GPU are working?

can't used GPU-Z to check the GPU,

use "aida 64" check the system also only got device "Intel HD",

only on device manager can see "AMD Radeon HD 7730M"

I just order the laptop last 2 week, and just received it yesterday... all my drivers will be the latest one....

so.... please let us know, how we know the  "AMD Radeon HD 7730M" is working when it on “High-performance"

while " the user does not directly control which graphics device to be active"

1.8K Posts

September 13th, 2012 14:00

Hi RaidoX and kaihying,

Inspiron 7520 and later models with AMD Switchable Graphics have PX5.0 design. It is a "Muxless" hardware design and supports only Dynamic Switchable Graphic function. That means, it cannot fix the video card to either onboard or the discrete card. In this mode, the user does not directly control which graphics device to be active. The device is determined by the Catalyst Control Center based on the application profile settings and the default rule. The BIOS cannot be flashed to the previous version as it is not available.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2012 20:00

hi... Rajath,

I know that we can't control which graphics device to be active, but how i know my "AMD Radeon HD 7730M " was working properly...

TQ!!

2 Posts

September 27th, 2012 02:00

I have the same model laptop and when I open the Catalyst Control Center, I get no options other than to change the desktop orientation. When I select information and hardware, I see nothing but the system information tab. The Intel graphics card has all options in its control panel. Is there a problem with my driver installation? My express warranty has expired and now I have to come hear for help.

15 Posts

September 29th, 2012 00:00

I have the the same 15R SE laptop with A01 GPU driver and AO4 BIOS and have not seen any issue yet with it. I have run it for only 2 weeks mainly playing SC 2. It runs well in medium setting with 40-60 FPS with temps on the CPU around 72C and GPU arund 64C.

I know 7730 is engaged because I am using CPUID HWMONITOR program to check. After I launch the game I launch the HWMonitor and can see temp value under Intel 4000HD (it is actually the 7730 GPU value).

When 4000HD is engaged there is no temp reading so this is a way to tell the difference. I do not have any of the latest games to try but SC 2 runs very well.

I have the i5 with 6GB ram not the i7 with 8GB. Not sure if that makes the difference. My 7730 driver version is 8.951.9.1000 under the device manager. Btw, my laptop ran SC 2 when I got it and after that I did a fresh Win 7 install and it seems to run the game the same way without issue.

Hope this info helps someone.

120 Posts

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi RaidoX and kaihying,

The BIOS cannot be flashed to the previous version as it is not available.

Hi Rajath N.,

Since you are on the topic of flashing the BIOS.

If you are working in technical support, please advise us whether we could update our Inspiron 7520 with the latest BIOS version A11 found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-15r-se-7520

It's classified under "Inspiron 7520" but the small print says "Dell Vostro 3560 system BIOS".

Please give us your expert advice at your earliest convenience.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2012 09:00

Hey i couldnt understand what you said.

Where is that option called "Use application settings"?? Please help me out man.. I'm really sick of this switchable graphics thingy :/

16 Posts

October 30th, 2012 20:00

First pardon my english not native.

The solution is simple,like in every regular BIOS put an option to disable the onboard GPU.I mean i just splashed 4 my monthly salaries on a laptop with a GPU which i can not use.To be real switchable graphics does NOT work,put it as u wish but the end result is it doesn't or is annoying (and i am trying to be polite).I can not see what would the damage be if i have an option to disable something that is slowing my work.The way i see it is i bought a ferrari with 1000 hp but i can not use it cause it's not  economic because it spends fuel.Fine graphics use AC power i get it but that is something i am aware and as a proffesional (i mean who else would buy a CORE I7 and a graphics card if not proffessionals with demands) i would not run my laptop on battery.yes i know i may sound somehow out of line but instead of being happy on a brand new laptop with specs that would put end to all my previous troubles with not enough power to work with,here i am browsing forums and tech support for a problem that is beyond reasonable understanding,and that is i can not use the GPU installed on a DELL machine.There is a saying when 3 people tell's u ur drunk go ahead and take a nap.And  all i can read on this switchable graphics is it doesn't work.And i doesn't.I know you'll say reinstall and everything but believe me i uninstaled every bit of the OS i could i tried every possible combination and i doesn't work.Now feel free to ignore me,or blame me or whatever but i just did spend 800 euros.And yes i sure demand a reply.

And i hope it will be a BIOS update with just one option plus disable onboard GPU.

18 Posts

October 31st, 2012 15:00

Dell Inspiron 7520 15r SE ~ i7-3612QM ~ 8GB ~ 1TB ~ Bluray ~ Full HD ~ Bluetooth
2GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M ~ Skullcandy Speakers ~ 1080p

Graphics Solved.

First of all I would like to say Hi to everyone in the Forum, now I have done testing on this machine and after continuous diagnostic's I have come up with the following conclusion.

The Driver;s that come pre installed with your laptop are special to your Dell Inspiron 7520 15r SE Laptop.  As soon as you download the newer drivers and install  them, they knock out the Switchable Graphic's.  Also I have noticed when you do a deep clean reg clean, this also knocks out the switchable Graphics, and any game that is intalled to seam (ie) The Elder Scrolls, will not work on neither.

I have tested this with various drivers and they all kill the switchable Graphic's.

So do a factory restore and install the default drivers of the system. I Have tested following games at 1080p, X-Plane 10, X-Plane 9, FSX, Dirt2, Take on Helicopters, these all work with 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M switchable graphics and run at full HD Screen and high setting and average 40 - 50 FPS

so The Elder Srolls Skyrim only works with HD 4000 simple reason being, It's installed with steam but playable at 30fps on mid settings.

This worked for me and should work for you.

Best of luck.

No Events found!