Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

December 17th, 2008 21:00

Dell inspiron 640m / E1405 laptop does not act on 240V power. No light and does not charge. The charger itself is fine

Hi all, I've got a Dell inspiron  640m / E1405 laptop and it "looks as if a fuse is blown" for the mains power.

When plugging in the charger, no light goes on and does not charge. Taken battery out, same result. Use charger on other Dell, works Fine. use a working charger of another Dell, no action on my inspiron.

The laptop is too young to retire, and wonder if someone can give me a hint to check what actually is wrong, or better have a fix for it.

Is there any way I can bypass the internal power module? or charge the battery without the laptop,

1 Message

January 29th, 2009 15:00

I have the same issue.  The problem did not start until I bought an aftermarket charger since I lost my dell charger.  Now, it will run with teh Dell charger but won't charge the battery.  THe aftermarket will charge teh battery and run the laptop, but the screen starts flashing it a message comes up that it is not teh right charger.  I have not found a solution yet.

1.6K Posts

January 29th, 2009 18:00

The first post is a faulty system board.

1 Message

January 29th, 2009 22:00

My inspiron 1501 has the same power problems. It works great on the battery but not at all with the AC adapter. I even purchased a new cord but still no signs that my computer is receiving power. I have been charging my battery on a friend's computer. 

Is this problem fixable?

Hi all, I've got a Dell inspiron  640m / E1405 laptop and it "looks as if a fuse is blown" for the mains power.

When plugging in the charger, no light goes on and does not charge. Taken battery out, same result. Use charger on other Dell, works Fine. use a working charger of another Dell, no action on my inspiron.

The laptop is too young to retire, and wonder if someone can give me a hint to check what actually is wrong, or better have a fix for it.

Is there any way I can bypass the internal power module? or charge the battery without the laptop,

12 Posts

July 30th, 2009 13:00

I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

2 Posts

July 31st, 2009 01:00

Sorry, I never got a solution for this. I consider the laptop as lost.

I was about to try wiring the charger directly to the battery contacts and leave the battery out, but never got to it yet. If anyone tries this and it works, can you let us know.

1 Message

September 21st, 2009 16:00

Don't wire directly. Lithium batteries can explode if not charged properly!

Sorry, I never got a solution for this. I consider the laptop as lost.

I was about to try wiring the charger directly to the battery contacts and leave the battery out, but never got to it yet. If anyone tries this and it works, can you let us know.

1 Message

January 20th, 2010 20:00

I dropped my E1405 down a flight of stairs. If you still have your laptop, would you want to sell it for parts. I'm trying to rebuild it.

No Events found!