Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2013 02:00

Dell inspiron 7520 SRT problem

Last week i have purchased a Dell Inspiron 7520 with Windows 8, 32 GB SSD and 1TB. I've mistakenly formatted the 32 GB SSD. Now IRST dont show the accelerate option. I've tried to return to factory image, windows 8 reinstalled with this process but repartition of SSD didn't happen. I also tried to make two partitions of 8 GB and 22GB but accelerate does not appear. Kindly advice.

Regards,

Umair

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 19th, 2013 03:00

Hi umair,

Follow the steps mentioned below to enable the mSATA for acceleration on the system.

1. Click Start button on the keyboard, type ‘CMD’
  2. Right click ‘CMD’ and run as administrator
  3. At Command prompt type in Diskpart
  4. Type LIST DISK you should see 2 Disks listed.
  5. Note down the correct DISK number for the next steps. On some systems mSATA HDD would be either Disk 1 or Disk 0
  6. Type SELECT DISK 0(Whichever is mSATA drive)
  7. It should say DISK 0 is selected
  8. Type Clean
  9. This should clean the mSATA HDD.
  10. Type EXIT and RESTART the system.
  11. Open the IRST application and try to enable the accelerator on mSATA.

Please let me know if this helps.

13 Posts

August 19th, 2013 06:00

Thanks Ravi for the prompt and perfect reply. It worked. Acceleration tab is available now.

I have a few questions though if you can spare some time.

1. I have used enhanced mode for higher acceleration since i am used to have an SSD in my previous laptop and normal caching was not impressive. Is this dangerous in case of abnormal shutdowns?

2. My most of the work is on vmware Workstation. Does this acceleration enhances my vmware related work as i dont need fast boot time rather fast vmware working? Or should i go for an SSD in place of my 1 TB HD?

3. If i go for SSD in place of 1 TB HDD what would be the BIOS settings and should Dell recovery disk work for transferring image from 1 TB to 256 GB SSD.

Thanks and best regards,

Umair

13 Posts

August 19th, 2013 07:00

Hi Ravi,

One more question! My laptop still gives an alarm like "Your intel rapid start technology does not work". How can i get rid of this alarm? As n manage tab it shows my 1 TB as accelerated disk. Is it ok or 32 GB should be shown as accelerated disk?

13 Posts

August 19th, 2013 08:00

Message actually is "Your system does not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled".

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 20th, 2013 23:00

Hi umair,

Abnormal shutdown is not good for any hard drive on the system. mSATA hard drive is used for caching purpose, so that frequently used programs or instructions are virtually stored on mSATA partition as SSD are faster than the normal hard drive. mSATA drive uses the SSD technology to make the system faster. If you replace the normal mechanical hard drive with SSD hard drive the IRST technology feature would be nullified. However, to use the SSD on the system you will have to change the SATA operation mode in the BIOS from IRST to AHCI. You will need an operating system reinstallation disc to install it on the system. Using the Dell recovery discs will not work as the SATA operation mode is different with previous hard drive.

I TB hard drive should be accelerated.

I would advise you to repeat the steps to “Enable the mSATA for acceleration” on the system.

No Events found!