Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2016 12:00

Dell inspiron n7010 Memory upgrade issue

I have a Dell Inspiron n7010 and just purchased this memory  Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1x8GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM Notebook Memory KVR1333D3S9/8G

.  the computer will not boot i get the reboot issue, i am running windows 10.  Also it will not boot in Ubuntu.  So I suppose i got the wrong memory. 

Bios is recognizing the memory but other than that I am having issues 

Please help me fix the issue if possible. . 

I thought after reading that this memory would work fine,  IF NOT  please provide me with information as to which memory will work for the machine A 1 8gb chip would be cool,  but if i need two 4 gig chips that's fine.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2016 13:00

The system will not support 8G soDIMMs -- 4G max per slot.  You'd be better off with higher-quality RAM as well - if you want Kingston, look at their KTD line - not the KVR.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2016 22:00

why does the bios recognize the 8 gig chip ? can you explain? 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2016 04:00

It is often possible to install more RAM than a system is certified to handle.  The results will vary - it may be possible, but if you plant to have the 8G run correctly, get the best RAM you can -- not the "Value" RAM you've tried.  Adding more RAM will always place more demands on the system components as far as timing - and Value RAM isn't designed for anything other than low purchase cost.

3 Posts

April 13th, 2016 11:00

OK so i purchased 2x 4gb  

PNY 2 x 4GB Notebook Kit DDR3 1600

chips today and I got the same error with those . chips what 4gb chips will work with this dell model ? 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 13th, 2016 12:00

Try one module at a time in each socket - if one of the sockets produces the error, it's the socket that's bad -- meaning a mainboard replacement is in your future.

If that doesn't produce results, try Crucial for RAM - they guarantee compatibility.

No Events found!