Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2016 02:00

Dell precision m6400 won't start with 210w charger

I bought a used 210w ac adapter on ebay for my m6400, and it's been working great all day. Just a few minutes ago I turned around and my laptop was off. When I went to turn it back on again the light on the ac adapter and lights on the laptop blinked and then wall went out. If I unplug the adapter and plug it back in it will light back up, but then immediately turn back off again when I try to power the lappy up.
Any ideas as to what could be wrong? This is my only laptop and I'd prefer not to lose it.
Any help is appreciated ^^

2K Posts

October 29th, 2016 16:00

Hi DERPYHOLIC030,

Was the adapter purchased compatible or designed for use on this system model? 

Based on your description, I would isolate the issue to be a fault with the adapter or the motherboard. There is some component which has shorted out and hence causing this issue. Kindly try another adapter and if it also does not work, then the motherboard needs to be replaced.

You could order the parts here if required - http://bit.ly/28VlSJB

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

October 31st, 2016 09:00

Try powering it up without the battery in the laptop.  Yup, just the AC power supply.

October 31st, 2016 12:00

It doesn't have a battery in it in the first place, and i've tried another power supply with the same effect. I'm beginning to think it is the motherboard. I'm gonna take it in to a local shop just to be absolutely sure. If it is the mobo it's a $20 fix.

2K Posts

October 31st, 2016 18:00

Hi DERPYHOLIC030,

Thank you for the update.

I would suspect a motherboard issue as well at this point.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

December 1st, 2016 13:00

So I bought a used motherboard on ebay that was tested and apparently functional from a highly rated seller, but when I installed it I'm having the same issue. Either this mobo is DOA or it's something else. This time I noticed that when I plugged in the power cable the HDD and Power LEDs turned on for a second, but when I attempted a boot it did the same thing as before.

Example video: https://youtu.be/l9xA8UP400k

could it maybe be the cpu or something? or perhaps my 210w power cable is somehow causing a surge that fries it?

2K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 06:00

Hi DERPYHOLIC030,

As per the video, the issue is with the motherboard. 

As per your description, I would again suspect a motherboard issue. Since the adapter led stays on when not connected to the system and before the system is attempted to power on.

I would personally suggest you to return the motherboard and invest your money on a new machine than to repair this system. However, that is your discretion.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

December 2nd, 2016 15:00

So I probably just got a DOA board then?

just my luck :/

well, I can't afford a new system, so I'll just try to return this board and get another one and hope for the best

2K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hi DERPYHOLIC030,

Would you rather consider taking the system to a local tech to check the machine with the suspected DOA motherboard?

Just a thought.

No Events found!