Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

118 Posts

August 28th, 2008 19:00

Dell reinstallation Disks

Dell was kind enough to send me a Sp2 reinstallation disk for my Inspiron 8100. They also sent a BIOS upgrade disk with it!  Microsoft Technicians helped me install/reinstall the operating system as they were assisting a problem generated by Norton/Symantec.

I have A08 installed and am not entirely sure I need A15 however!

Could someone please direct me to the Dell Knowledge base or elsewhere for  specific  instructions and options  for using this new A15 disk.  I am reluctant to insert the disk because I know changing the BIOS incorrectly can lockup a computer. It would not be worth that!  I prefer not to be confused with XP PRO or XP Home or W2K operating system information until I learn just how to upgrade the BIOS! 

Dell was to call, perhaps they tried, but I have never become aware of a call, it is ok, but I still would like to consider too or not too upgrade and I do not know how to make the evaluation!. 

4.2K Posts

August 28th, 2008 20:00

Hi,

If you dont have a problem the Bios update will fix, I wouldnt bother. The safest way is to upgrade from a bootable floppy / CD. If you try and do it from within Windows, you may end up with a door-stop. When you upgrade you need to have the AC adapter plugged in and battery fitted.

Regards Chris

118 Posts

August 28th, 2008 22:00

Thank you for your reply!

I assume the bios upgrade disk Dell sent me would be a bootable disk!  YeS?

If I boot on this disk, I guess there will be instructions and I can abort if I decide not to continue.  Is this correct?

Where can I find information as to what improvements to a 8100 were made from A08 to A15?

john

4.2K Posts

August 29th, 2008 07:00

Hi,

The CD should have instructions. See what type the CD is. At " support tools " you can download a Bios. What I would use is a .exe file and boot from DOS.The only reason I would update the Bios, is if you fit a bigger battery. A later Bios will charge it correctly. There was a dodgy earlier one that had the fan control wrong. It has been taken off.

Regards Chris

4.2K Posts

August 30th, 2008 08:00

Hi,

Another regular,  Bay Wolf has a site that may have the info you are after. Have a look there, I havnt been there, but the feedback I have seen is always good.

Regards Chris

No Events found!