Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2017 19:00

Dell's hinge policy regarding Inspiron 15 7000 series

I am seeing more of these cracked open laptops come to my shop and every single one of them were lacking locktite on the fasteners/screws. The locktite is the blue paint looking material at the end of the screws.  The bottom of these screws should be completely blue if an adequate amount of locktite were applied. These laptops have none at all or a small patch on one side of the screw.

Every single screw is loose on these models because of it.  The hinges are absolutely fine it is the looseness of the screws causing a cascade chassis support failure. It begins by some screws coming loose resulting in more stress placed on adjacent tighter screws near the hinges. This higher than normal stress causes the chassis to crack at the hinges later causing complete hinge separation.

This is 100% a manufacturer quality control issue and Dell is 100% liable in my opinion.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 31st, 2017 02:00

Thank you for your message. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this. We haven’t come across any known issues on this series.

At the very top of this Laptop General Hardware board, we posted the Dell Laptop Hinge Policy for all to see and review.

2 Posts

July 29th, 2017 01:00

is this only Inspiron 15 7000, or the Inspiron 13 7000 as well ?

1 Message

August 31st, 2017 13:00

I have the same problem.  rear left corner just popped apart.  Lightly used laptop that has never left the house.  What can I get done?  My warranty went out on 2/8/2017  I had a 2 year extended...that ***.

Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 broken hinge

1 Message

September 11th, 2017 11:00

I have the same thing happened to my 9 month old Inspiron 15-7579 Laptop. I don't know what to do now. My Dell warranty is till Jan 2018.

1 Message

October 19th, 2017 12:00

I have the identical problem as you. Mine is still under warranty, but I am told that they won't cover it because the case is cracked showing damage.  I explained that the hinge issue caused the damage to the case, but they still won't honor the warranty on this.  I am so angry....with no recourse apparently.

No Events found!