Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2013 09:00

Dell studio 1558 Laptop black screen

My laptop is a dell studio 1558 4gb. my problem is when i turn it on the screen is blank, and when i plug it into an external monitor the screen is distorted. I've tried power on and the function key, i am getting back beep codes 1, 4, 6. Power on with the d key gives white black red etc. Can you let me know whether it needs a replacement motherboard or hard drive.

2.2K Posts

November 7th, 2013 10:00

Hi r_simmons_perez,

Unplug power cable and battery. Press and hold power button for 15 seconds. Plugin the adapter. Turn on the system. Let us know about the sequence of beep codes you get from the system.

If you do not get any beep codes from the system, perform diagnostics using the link given below:

http://dell.to/19hqcwW

Important information about beep codes:

• The delay between each beep will be 300 Ms.
  • The delay between each set of beeps is 3 seconds.
  • The duration of each single beep is 300 Ms.

Beep code 1, 4, 6 does not represent anything.

Is it that you are getting 3 beeps from the system?

If the display works properly during LCD BIST (Pressing and hold D and turning on the system), it can be an issue with the system board.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

November 8th, 2013 09:00

by beep codes 1,4,6 i mean that it is playing a tune with the beeps and the playing 1 beep, 4 beeps and 6, beeps with a gap in between each set of beeps

2.2K Posts

November 10th, 2013 10:00

Hi r_simmons_perez,

It seems to be an issue with the system board however, I would suggest you to reseat memory sticks on the system. If you have more than 1 memory on the system, try turning on system with one memory stick only.

Try both the memory to check if it is an issue with a particular memory.

Refer to the steps on the service manual using the link given below:

http://dell.to/1dWpjcz

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

No Events found!