Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2010 08:00

Dell studio 1558 graphics card problems

So i got a dell laptop on my birthday in august this year as a laptop i could easily take to university for course work and all was working well for about a month then I started to get the same issues it seems everyone is getting with these laptops other threads include

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19345912/19748300.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19341830.aspx

Where the graphics card dies when watching videos online or sometimes listening to music and if im lucky says its restarted or unlucky screen goes black and the laptop has to be forced off before it would happen now and again now alot more.

I have phoned dell support who instructed me to run a scan (folding fn when booting) and showed it was not a hardware problem so i got software support who wanted to take control of my pc for one time at a cost of £60 which i cannot afford, now my laptops on warranty i have tried reistalling os, unistalling and installing drivers but none of these solutions work the problem does not go away.

Does anyone have a solution or is there a dell representative on here who realises that maybe there is someting wrong with all these laptops and fixes it cause im still on warranty and want a fix, ive now lost two essays because sometimes it corrupts data and im getting sick of this happening and i know otheres are having this problem to.

thanks sorry for spelling mistakes and stuff im in a bad mood due to this

Specs

I5 processor 4 gb ram and an ATI 5470 graphics card which causes me nothing but hassle

January 19th, 2011 08:00

hi,

i have having absolutely the same problem, Why Dell has designed such a stupid laptop....which creates hell a lot of problems

here is the story

1. I believe Studio 1557, 1558 is total failure

2.The bios update Dell gives solves the old problem & creates a new one.

3. I bought my laptop for my higher studies & am out of my country now, i dont know how to resolve this problem.

4. The laptop becomes unstable most of the times, when playing on-line videos, even sometimes playing music in winamp

5. I could not even able to use skype video chat, Once skype call is started, my laptop becomes unstable & shutsdown within few minutes. I am seriously hit by this problem.

My config :

Studio 1558, 4GB RAM, Core - i3, ATI 5740 graphics card, 500GB hard disk.

1 Message

January 19th, 2011 10:00

I'm also suffering from the same problem. At first I thought it was an Ubuntu problem, but I'm facing it now on Windows too. I couldn't find precise errors in windows, but on Ubuntu it definitely points towards the GPU.

Haven't tried updating my BIOS yet. What new problem did this create for you?

My config: Studio 1558, 4 GB RAM, Core -5, ATI 5740, 500GB hard disk, bought in May 2010 in Belgium.

January 19th, 2011 13:00

hi Rackstar,

you are on the line too, its definitely not about the OS , i has got to do with GPU.  If i am not wrong, i believe its because the graphics card gets unstable especially while playing online videos or streaming videos thru webcam.

Actually with my previous BIOS A04, i had problems like "freezing of the screen", computer shuts down whenever i switched from battery mode to the AC power, before turning off, my computer gives warning about my DELL WIRELESS adapter & then immediately switches off.

The above problem got sorted out when i changed my BIOS from A04 to A11, i did this as per suggestion given by DELL to update BIOS. But after upgrading to A11, now i m facing the problem of GPU - graphics card related problem. My system goes unstable with a roaring fan noise, whenever i tried to play online videos or sometimes even in the middle of  browsing.

I really hope DELL will do something about this. The problems faced by ppl having DELL 1557, 1558 is now fully open, so now DELL cannot escape by telling it as "thermal shutdown", or some other stuff. I think they have to do something about :

1. GPU instability.

2. FAN noise.

just hoping................

i bought in Mar 2010, right now i live in Toulouse btw.

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2011 08:00

The driver packages are put out by the manu.(nVidia,ATI,Intel) not Dell.

You can go to the manu. site and install the driver from there if you wish in this case would be from AMD's site.

Yoi have another choice,you can install the desktop version of your driver from AMD and install this MOD http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php .

This will allow the desktop version to install.Follow the MOD exactly step by step DO NOT skip or take any shortcuts.

AMD site  http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx .

2 Posts

September 26th, 2012 09:00

well m from india having the same problem when i tried to update my graphic drivers thru amd's site to run battlefield3.......it was in early-august (2012) when i updated the graphic driver...since then my laptops gone crazy doing things color distortion,bsod,random characters,freezing....!!!!

my lappy specs :

studio 1558

core i3,4gb ram,500gb hdd, ati mobility radeon hd 5470.....

i think its the fault with the graphic card...and that too bcos i bought it in may-2009 ...and uptill now it ran smoothly but after dat it made my life a hell.....

i think it has to do with the generation system of intel's chip......

mine core i3 is first generation and i think the amd people gave the drivers for the second/third generation....!!!!

dell - amd plz fix it ..... u ppl wid big companies need to think for the common people !!!

September 26th, 2012 10:00

Since the screen display is distorted and BSOD occurs, you can run the Dell diagnostics to determine any hardware failure. To perform the diagnostics, follow the steps:
1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. A blue screen will appear stating Pre-boot System Assessment.
3. A screen will appear with a message 'Were color bars displayed? (Y/n).
4. Press 'Y' key if the color bars are displayed properly. 
5. If you get any error code, make a note of it and continue testing.
6. Please share the error codes if any. 

To ensure that the LCD screen is not the cause of screen distortion, please run the LCD test.
1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the alphabet key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. This will initiate a grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green then White, to allow you to inspect the entire LCD.
3. If there is no distortion in the screen during the test, the LCD screen is functioning properly. 

If the test completes without errors, try the BIOS update from this link: http://dell.to/POL3wO
Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
* No external devices(except the keyboard, mouse and monitor) should be connected.
* All other programs should be closed and documents saved
* The AC adapter should be connected during this process. The battery should be 10% or more than 10% charged . 
Click on 'Download File'>> click 'Continue'>> Click 'Yes' on User Account control if prompted>>Click 'Continue' on the Application prompt>> Click 'OK' on Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to (make a note of the folder location)>> Click 'Yes' on the next prompt for folder does not exist>> Click 'OK' on All files were successfully unzipped. >> If the installation wizard does not appear, go to the folder location>> select the Setup file >> Right-click and select 'Run as Administrator'>>Follow the installation wizard instructions. The laptop will reboot after this update.

At times, the distortion on the screen could occur due to a corrupted driver. Moreover, the AMD drivers that you installed could be generic. The drivers available at Dell support site have been tested with your computer. You can install the drivers mentioned below and observe the computer.Hence, uninstall the graphics card driver. To do so, go to Start>> type 'devmgmt.msc' in the search box without the quotes and press Enter. Expand the list for Display Adapters. Right-click the driver and uninstall it. Reboot PC.
Hereafter, download and install the dell drivers from this link: http://dell.to/QFniEN
Reboot PC

Hope this helps.
Do write back with the results.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2012 04:00

Error Code 0321

Msg : Error Code 2000-0321

1.8K Posts

December 1st, 2012 00:00

Hi Isdarknt,

It appears to be an issue with LCD or LCD cable of your computer and might need replacement. You can run a test on the LCD of your computer. You can watch the detailed steps and how to run LCD BIST from link: http://dell.to/R6XKBV . Another step, you can try is to connect an external monitor with computer and check if you are able to see screen on external monitor. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. 

Please reply with information. 

1.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I have received the Service Tag of your computer. You can try an external monitor with the computer and see if it exhibits the same behavior. Dell has not tested your computer with Windows 8. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/RyY54k 

You can also check your computer in safe mode to see if it an issue with drivers. If it is an issue with the driver of the graphics card, you can try installing the driver for Windows 7 from link: http://dell.to/UFwJ8k and see if it works.

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download file' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer. 

If this does not work, you can try installing the same driver in compatibility mode, that may work.

• Download the drivers for your computer from link above.
  • Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties -- > Compatibility Tab.
  • Select Windows 7 from the list in the following image.

• Click Apply -- > OK.
  • Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

If the issue still persists, you may need to get Windows 8 drivers from the device manufacturer's website from link: http://bit.ly/Vwkv3R  

Please reply with findings.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2012 01:00

DUDE , :emotion-12: My problem starting on Windows 7 not Windows8, but problem continue on windows8

"Why Dell has designed such a stupid laptop....which creates hell a lot of problems?"

1.8K Posts

December 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I understand your concern and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Error code 0321 indicates that test is 'Unable to detect LCD'. Most likely it is an issue with the LCD or LCD cable of your computer and need replacement. As you mentioned that system is working perfectly fine with the Ubuntu, then you can try and re-install the video driver and see if it works. The next best step you can perform is to update the BIOS of your computer and then re-ran the diagnostics. For more information on error 2000-0321, you can refer to article: http://dell.to/TPk5n7 

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Link to download and install the BIOS: http://dell.to/Uew4cF 

Steps to download BIOS:

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

In case the issue still persists, you might need to replace the LCD, LCD cable and motherboard. As the warranty of your computer has expired, you can get in touch with either local technician or Dell technical support of your region at:  http://dell.to/YzBrfu  

Please reply for further clarifications. 

3 Posts

December 7th, 2012 14:00

i already update my DELL BIOS from dell website a A12(problem is A12 BIOS ) version but it not work properly can i remove it. and reinstall A10(A10 is default version). How to install A10 version.

1.8K Posts

December 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Could you please let me know the issues that you are facing with the system BIOS.

Dell does not recommend BIOS downgrade. For more information on this, you can refer to link:http://dell.to/UxjVSx 

However, if you like to install the previous version of BIOS, you can install it from the link: http://dell.to/SLrGVv 

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Steps to download BIOS:

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.
  • Restart your computer. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

7 Posts

January 5th, 2013 05:00

Hi manpreet i tried the  " key, push the power button" test but no screen appeared  only some continuous beeps3 3 3 and then breaking beeps  1beep 4beeps 6beeps.

I have a Dell studio 1558 , my laptop doesn't boot  now, some time once in a blue moon it starts but soon has distorted screen.

January 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi nil2087,

The issue seems to be with the LCD screen. 
Let's try to run a test on the screen. This will help us isolate whether the no display issue is due to the LCD or the integrated graphics failure.

1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the alphabet key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. This will initiate a sequence of grey, red, blue, green and white colors on the screen.
3.  If 5 solid colors don't flash on the screen, try an external monitor (if available).

Please try these steps and share the findings. 

No Events found!