Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2017 07:00

Dell stylus "sleeping"?

Hello everyone. I am experiencing an unusual issue with my Dell Active Stylus 750-AAGN. I have put a fresh AAAA battery in it like 3 months ago and it had never seen more than a 2 hours of screen time per week. The problem is that every once and then the stylus just stops reacting to screen. I can't recall this happening during use but rather when I put it down for some time and pick it up to write something. The only way to "revive" it is opening the back making the battery slide down and then back to its place. 

I have decided to touch the screen with my stylus every five minutes to test whether it just goes idle or not. And so far, it is alive. My question is that whether this is an intended feature? Did the designers intend the stylus to be opened every time before not using for some time? 

Thanks a lot for your input. 

Highly appreciated :)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 8th, 2017 07:00

I have the PN556W version and it does pretty much the same thing.  I had not considered it was sleeping since it happens so often but there is a Wacom device in the Human Interface Devices in Device Management.  You could try changing the power management settings.

I have found, if I drop the pen lengthwise from about an inch, the shock seems to wake it up.  Possibly a battery connection situation.   Other type of low level shock, such as tapping the pen on some surface,  does not seem to help.

I don't know what system you have but since on the XPS 13 9365, everything on the Desktop turns off when it goes into Modern Standby (display off), that might be related to it losing the connectivity.  Maybe your testing will pin down the actual cause.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2017 13:00

Well, I have an HP laptop so it pretty much uses synaptics not Wacom. But is there even any software to control it?

But I will definitely give dropping it a try.

ON the other hand, does this have anything to do with battery itself? I found it suspicious that the battery would be used up so fast. It should last a year of heavy use, not couple months of occasional use...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 8th, 2017 15:00

I have software for my pen but I don't see your pen listed on the Dell support site.  My system shows a small battery in the hidden icons which turns green when the pen is close.

I replaced my batteries after the first month because of the lack of connection.  I am slowly learning what I can do to make it wake up rather than removing or changing batteries.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 06:00

I see, I think it is a discontinued pen but I still do not understand why this happens.

Does it have to do with low battery? (I doubt it) Bad design?

For me nothing works like removing and reinserting the battery

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 07:00

It does not appear to be a low battery situation although if the battery is low it may be involved.

Yesterday, my shock trick would not bring the Pen back.  I took all three batteries out and even used a pencil eraser on the 4A battery to clean the contacts.  The Pen returned to normal when I replaced the batteries.

Do you know which battery, 4A or button, might be responsible for certain functions?  It would be nice if we could know for sure if the Pen was not being seen by the screen it was because one of those batteries.  Clicking the button can, at times, open One Note but the Pen is not being recognized.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2017 11:00

Well, this is rather embarassing. Ever since I made my last post here a month ago, I have baraly used the  pen an hour or two at most. In total i have used the pen less than 3-4 days since I installed the new battery in 4 months ago. The battery I used was Varta High Alkaline 1.5V LR8D425. Why does the battery die with extremely low usage. I highly doubt I had the bad luck of acquiring a pen that somehow uses 10 times more power than it is supposed to. I put a new battery of the same type in and will track the usage to see what the problem is.

Also, the Pen only has 2 buttons: one for erasing and another one for making selections.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 26th, 2017 14:00

My pen, the PN55W, will loose its ability to interact with the screen.  In most cases I can shock it just enough to get it working.  My working theory is the contact of one oft the batteries has lost it contact.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2017 16:00

Well but replacing that battery witn another one of the same type worked perfectly and it doesn't even go to sleep since the last 6 hours. So it is a battery problem.

I guess it is nonsense that at worst, the battery will last a year. I would say a month with heavy usage considering my usage was extremely light and it barely lasted 3 and a half months

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 26th, 2017 18:00

Does that pen have a battery icon in the hidden icons?  I it does, you might keep track of the level while it is working.

I replaced the battery on my system after the first month.  Since then, even though it becomes unresponsive, I have been able to get it back and when I do so the battery level still showed 95%.  

Maybe you will discover a way to keep it working or recover after it seem to go bad.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 28th, 2017 04:00

Well, it doesn't have any kind of indicators or anything. While we're at it, is there any DELL synaptics pen that has a battery indicator? Would like to try one :)

But as of now, I check the pen on my screen every day and as of now, it still didn't go to sleep.

No Events found!