Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 30th, 2017 15:00

Dell support showing wrong computer model

This is not a huge problem but is actually pretty annoying.

I am using a Vostro 5460 LAPTOP but the "support for Vostro 5460" page shows a picture of a desktop PC. When I check out the "Manuals & documents", for example, it turns out Dell Support identified the laptop as a "Dell Vostro 24 - 5460" (a desktop model I guess?).

For your information, the service tag and express service code shown in Dell Support is correct for my laptop. Not sure why it shows as a desktop. PLEASE FIX.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 30th, 2017 15:00

Seems  to be Ok when I check.

Are you looking under the laptop section?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2017 16:00

This isn't an excuse for incorrect results being returned, but for what it's worth, I've always avoided entering Service Tags in favor of selecting the system because entering a Service Tag sometimes masks updates that do in fact pertain to your system (and can also keep showing updates that aren't, although that's a lesser problem in my view.)  I'd rather see everything that's available for the system.  Another option if the primary concern is to download drivers would be to install "Dell Command | Update", which scans the devices actually running/connected on your system to determine the updates that apply.  It's possible that the scan tool you're referring to just queries the Service Tag from your system, in which case if the manually entered Service Tag returns the wrong result, it's not surprising that the scan tool would as well.

November 30th, 2017 16:00

I apologize if the topic is unclear. Ofcourse you can find the support for the Vostro 5460 laptop if you search for it generally.

The problem here is that Dell support detected MY laptop as a desktop, after I enter the correct service tag or even detect the pc.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2017 17:00

Ouch, sorry about that then!  But thanks for letting me know.

November 30th, 2017 17:00

Well it's not a big deal but it's annoying having to double check each time for new drivers since Dell Support shows me the wrong model by defaut.

For your information, Dell Command | Update is not compatible with the Vostro series. I tried installing it and the update won't work. Funny thing is it still detected my laptop as this all-in-one Vostro 24-5460 desktop!

No Events found!