Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2014 06:00

[Dell touchpad] one finger scrolling feature missing on Windows 8 doesn't work

The previous driver allowed for edge scrolling but latest version does not have the capability.I understand for those upgrading to Windows 8 with touch screen capability this is not an issue but what about us who do not have touch screen. In my opinion this is a major flaw. Please let me hear form you if you too are unhappy about the new Windows 8 Touch pad driver. By the way, I tried rolling the driver back but the previous driver causes serious erratic behavior. Below is a screen shot of the version for the newest Windows 8 Touch Pad driver.

This problem appears on Windows 8.1

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 11:00

Try this:

1) Go into c:\program files\DellTPad\

2) In this dir I have

a)  DellTouchpad.exe: this is the app called from control panel whose picture you posted.

b)  DellTPad.exe alternate utility to set touchpad setting. When launching this I have this option (translating into english) "one finger actions/multi-finger actions", and then it allows you to set single finger vertical/horizontal scrolling.

5 Posts

November 15th, 2014 11:00

If the DellTPad.exe doesn't work you can use this:

drive.google.com/.../view

5 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 16:00

Thank you very much,I have done!

21 Posts

I have the

Dell Inspiron i3531-1200BK 15.6-Inch Laptop

with win8.1.  The DellTpad application crashes everytime I run it.  Even in compatibility mode for win8 and win7.

I still have no one finger scroll aka edge scroll aka linear scroll

one finger scrolling

edge scrolling

linear scrolling

i3531

21 Posts

It is so close but it is buggy then crashes.  The scrolling page has only words on it.  All the other tabs look fine.  I can't set anything.

I do appreciate the help.  I'm currently working with Dell customer service on this issue but so far no luck.  They told me to try Synaptics default driver but it will not install.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2014 07:00

DMR_2011 did you ever find  a solution to this? I'm having the same issue! :( 

21 Posts

December 1st, 2014 11:00

No I have not.  I have moved up tech support levels 3 times. 

3 Posts

May 21st, 2016 10:00

This TOTALLY works for Windows 10 on a E6420.  thank you so much for this tip - kept fighting this one for hours and finding DellTpad.exe was absolutely brilliant - thanks so much.  I much prefer one finger scrolling along the edges versus that two-finger scroll/pan.  it just doesn't work very well at all

69 Posts

July 17th, 2016 16:00

Great I found this old postings..that DelltPad.exe worked great...I spent so much time trying to single scroll. I almost uninstalled win10.

September 16th, 2017 10:00

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_waUKiY5ZWtQzdkaXJXVXJZYkk/view

This drive versions of DellTPad.exe works, when replaced in C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP for my Dell Inspiron 15 3542, while the original DellTPad.exe crashes on opening. Thanks a lot!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 16th, 2017 11:00

I initially missed this feature (though not enough to find a workaround), but having used two-finger scrolling for a while now, I have to say I've found it far superior. First, it seems to be identified as a scrolling gesture far more reliably than edge scrolling ever was, but even more importantly, it's more convenient and MUCH more efficient. I typically navigate the touchpad with my middle finger, so my index and/or ring fingers are already hovering over the touchpad area anyway, and I've found it's far faster to simply put 2 fingers down wherever they already are than to move to the extreme edge of the touchpad (displacing my entire hand in the process) just to scroll momentarily, only to have to move my hand back over the touchpad or keyboard to accomplish my next task. I'm very sensitive to hand motion inefficiencies like this because I type 140 WPM on a good keyboard and I use keyboard shortcuts as much as possible to minimize using a mouse/touchpad at all, since quickly pressing a key combination while your hands are already in the keyboard area is almost always much faster than moving your hand to another peripheral and THEN moving the cursor to a specific area of the interface just to execute the desired action, which may then be buried under a few pop-up menus. I actually use PgUp/Dn and the arrow keys for a lot of my scrolling for this exact reason.

Obviously everyone is different, and if you tried two-finger scrolling and hated it, then fair enough -- but if you just miss edge scrolling and never really tried to get used to the replacement gesture, I would encourage you to give it a fair shake before writing it off.

I do NOT however like the new default scroll DIRECTION.  When I'm using a touchSCREEN, I can see moving my fingers up in order to scroll down, since that has the illusion of directly touching and moving the content.  But with a touchPAD, I want a downward motion to scroll down, since in that context the idea is that the content is static and you're moving a "portal/window" down in order to see what's below.

No Events found!