Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

October 12th, 2008 20:00

Dell tricked me!

I bought an XPS m1530 from dell outlets ebay store expecting a cosmetically damaged laptop with a price reduction.  After looking through the listings, I put a bid on a couple and managed to snag one.  It finally came two weeks later, after opening it up I was expecting a laptop with a minor scratch or dent and a decent 8600gt video card.  How wrong was I...the laptop had only a 8400gs video card, the AC adapter plug did not fit and fizzled constantly, the screen had backlight bleeding problems- the whole sceeen is grey and the colours washed out, the biometric fingerprint reader did not work whatsoever and the CPU sounded as if a beaver was chewing through it.  Now nowhere on the listing did it say it came with an 8400gs, nor any product reference emails, or even the delivery note..nothing.  I only found out when I went into the sytem properties and looked for myself.  Angrily I went to look at the other listings as I would not have ordered one with an 8400gs card. only to find out when they list the specs on all their listings if it has an 8600gt they'll mention it in the spec list, if it has the 8400gs they just convieniently "forget" to mention anywhere on the listing about any video card whatsoever.  This is a truly shocking tactic from dell to dupe customers into buying an inferior model spec. 

After many many phonecalls getting messed around, Dell is willing to replace the laptop with another refurbed model with the exact same spec as it's under the same kind of warranty as a new system, however they absolutely refuse to replace it with a 8600gt video card.  I truly feel robbed, they told me if I wanted to return the laptop they'd charge me £50 for the pleasure, how nice of them grrrrrrrr

340 Posts

October 12th, 2008 21:00

I do not know what your laws are where you live, but if you used a credit card, you may be able to get recourse through your credit card company.

3.4K Posts

October 12th, 2008 23:00

@Jakpro wrote:
I do not know what your laws are where you live, but if you used a credit card, you may be able to get recourse through your credit card company.

Hello,

Why suggest this?

Dell is going to replace the system for a like kind that works. A buyer not doing his homework fully is no reason to look for "recourse".

Message Edited by Thereal-dbk4297 on 10-12-2008 05:35 PM

7 Posts

October 13th, 2008 00:00

Hmm some pretty angry answers there. I failed to communicate? The FACT is Dell has left out that particular spec for that particular laptop with that paricular video card on all listings, communication and paperwork, if this isn't to dupe a customer into buying a lower spec model then explain the reason why.  You're right I did assume ALL XPS m1530's came with a 8600gt, this is the specific reason I bought that particular laptop in the first place, I had no reason to think otherwise.  I even offered to pay more money for a refurb model with the upgraded video card but they won't do it, I must return the laptop, pay the courier charge, wait for them to credit my account, buy the laptop with the correct video card and wait another 2 weeks. To make matters worse I had to go through 10+ phone calls at a cost of £20 to get offered a same spec replacement.

41 Posts

Dell did not trick you.  While I understand how you may feel - it is YOUR JOB as a CONSUMER to ask QUESTIONS about an item you are bidding on.  If you read over an auction and DO NOT see information that you need to make an informed choice, you ask the seller for that information.  YOU DO NOT assume anything.  Period, the end.

This is a result of you failing to ask questions (something you should be doing anyway).  This is ebay rule number 5 probably.

Now, if they TOLD YOU after you ASKED that the card you wanted was in the machine and you received an item that does not match what you were sold, then that's the sellers problem and needs to be rectified. 

You were not tricked.  You just failed to communicate.  

3.4K Posts

@primaluk wrote:
Hmm some pretty angry answers there.

Hello,

Angry, no. Honest, yes.

Since the 'specific reason' you bought this model was for that card and it was not listed, begs the question... Why not ask?

Did you know in advance that the system came with other cards?

I'm not angry, I learned the hard way myself.

340 Posts

October 13th, 2008 05:00

If he is not happy with his purchase, that is enough reason for recourse. That is why you get protection when making a purchase with a credit card.

Dell should have given sufficient detail when offering the computer for sale.

7 Posts

October 13th, 2008 19:00

I'm unsure what you mean by recourse Jakpro?  If you mean refund, this isn't really what I want.  I simply want a working xps m1530 with a 8600gt graphics card, the one I thought I was buying.  The laptop is essential for my uni work so I can't be without a system for even one day.  And as unlikely as it sounds, I want Dell to admit their mistake and amend all future listings on ebay and the actual outlet website with the proper specs so that no other customers get duped (I can't imagine I'm the first either).  You would think one of the biggest computer manufacturers in the world would not resort to tactics like this to sell their hardware.

41 Posts

October 13th, 2008 20:00

primaluk-

Sorry, but you were not duped.  Again, you failed as a consumer to do your  homework before you purchased.  You even admited that you did assume.  That is the WORST thing you could have done.  Dell is not duping anyone or tricking them.  That's the way they do their ads.  Another company might do it differently.  

If you are not happy with the product, send it back and find another outlet for purchase that you feel comfortable with.  This time, make sure the laptop you purchase is up to spec with what you are after.  Don't assume.  Would you assume that a car has leather seats even though it's not on the list but some of the other cars on the lot have it?  No.  You would ask right?

Buying a laptop for a good price (cheap) always a plus.  However, if your livelyhood/work depends on that device, perhaps a more direct route might be in order?  Order directly from dell/outlet?

Again, nobody here is angry.  We are just being honest.  Good luck on getting your issue resolved.

5 Posts

October 15th, 2008 08:00

I agree that Dell should replace it with a 8600gt, considering the only available specs shows it comes with an 8600gt. I wouldn't put it past dell to purposely tricking you either as dell has been playing games with me for almost a month now.

If I were you, get a refund somehow.

7 Posts

October 15th, 2008 13:00

Thank you VeganMan.  Absolutc you sound like a Dell salesman, and I wouldn't expect to buy a Porche with a Skoda engine either.  Again I've no need to argue my point as I have stated clearly how I was misled into buying this.  Also it seems someone "up there" there is listening as they have started to change their ads to include the correct specs. Selling computer hardware is Dells primary business there's no way something as important as listing the graphics card could be simply overlooked, and it must be extreme coincidence that they convienently only forget to state the specs when they're trying to sell ones with a 8400gs eh?

No matter, my issue still isn't resolved,  Dell haven't honoured the Collect and Return or the Next Business Day on Site warranty for the other major faults anyway.  I'm a patient guy buy I don't like getting messed around consistently, I've tried all other avenues to resolve this at my own expense.  They have until the end of the week then the Advertising Standards Authority and Trading Standards will become involved.

5 Posts

October 15th, 2008 17:00

Well primaluk I hope you well. Please keep us up to date with the end result. From my experience and from what I've been reading, not too many people get satisfying results from Dell. And it seems most organizations out there claim there is help for you are actually organizations that make it even more difficult for you. These organizations just seem to be in place to close the little guys down so there is nothing left but the large corporations.

Personally, if at all possible, I'd take your money and run. My latest move on trying to get my money back just came with an email that they are looking into the issue. It's unbelievable that someone can take your money and get nothing for it.

Interestingly, I said I couldn't put it past Dell to trick you yesterday. And I looked at my latest order and noticed I'm not getting an Intel Pentiun Chip. When I ordered the last computer, I made it with two of the same computers side by side. One was cheaper and I didn't know why. The chip was the same in the specs when I went through the options, but one wasn't a pentium in the specs after I added it to the card. Give it a try and add two xps laptops 1730. Now that is tricking people!

I wouldn't be a salesman for dell. I'd be forced to move to india. I doubt they get very much per hour. Perhaps that is why the customer service and sales is so terrible. I know one thing, if I don't get my refund soon, I will be cancelling my last order and will NOT be ordering my server throught them.

7 Posts

October 29th, 2008 12:00

Just a little update here, all is not doom and gloom with Dell.  They eventually replaced my laptop with one which has an 8600gt and although not necessary they upgraded my cpu, which was quite a nice gesture.  Everything works perfectly, the screen is a little grainy but I can deal with that.

I would like to point out that it was sales and not customer service who sorted everything out, I found that my sales rep genuinely wanted to and went out of his way to help me, however customer service throughout the whole process were completely useless. In short, even though I'm a little fish in a big sea, Dell have at least kept one customer.  :smileywink:

No Events found!