Highlighted
w0g
1 Copper

Dell warranty and upgrading - does it void the warranty?

Can the hard drive and memory be upgraded on a Dell Inspiron E1705 without voiding the warranty? If you can then are there any other implications for doing so in regards to warranty and repair? I am being told by Dell tech support that because I upgraded my hard drive and memory, the warranty on my E1705 is void unless I put in the original parts. I don't see why, I'm not asking them to service my hard drive or memory, and the problem has no indication that it's related to either.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Xenon

Re: Dell warranty and upgrading - does it void the warranty?

Though the warranty won't cover the replacement parts (nor any damage done in upgrading), the rest of the system remains under warranty.

These are customer-replaceable parts.  Upgrading them doesn't affect the system warranty. 

There ARE parts you can't upgrade without a warranty loss- screen, CPU, video card - but the hard drive and RAM don't count.

0 Kudos
w0g
1 Copper

Re: Dell warranty and upgrading - does it void the warranty?

Have any citation to support that? I've review the Dell warranty/service contracts and didn't see anything saying it would void my warranty, but it would be nice to have reference to Dell sactioning upgrades of certain parts.

0 Kudos