Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2013 06:00

Dell xps 13 won't boot. Stuck after dell logo flashes up

Hi. I have a dell xps 13. I purchased it in nov 2012 and it is running windows 8. It has been working perfectly until yesterday. When I turn it on the dell logo flashes up then it stops. I can see the f12 option in the bottom right and have managed to run diagnostics. It says there are no errors. It's like the laptop is running but I can't see anything on the screen. So frustrating. I tried to log a call but the dell site can't recofnise my service tag. Please help. Kaisha

February 16th, 2013 20:00

That's a good suggestion, but in my situation I can't even get into the BIOS.  I see the Dell logo but nothing I do lets me get into BIOS.  I was on the phone for over an hour with Dell Support, and they couldn't figure it out either, so now I'm having to ship the laptop for repair. I'm not a happy camper.

3 Posts

February 18th, 2013 03:00

Finally, I have my laptop fixed. After the first attempt to replace the motherboard (with a wrong model),  the Dell technician replaced the motherboard with the correct model today and now everything seems fine with the laptop.

February 20th, 2013 04:00

Where do you work??? You are a smart guy. I changed the setting to AHCI and the computer warned me that it may not start, but started up with no problems. To be on the safe side I changed the setting back to Intel Smart Response Technology. Thank you for your post, it took all but five minutes to fix what might have been hours with tech support. My wife is very happy too.

1 Message

February 20th, 2013 05:00

Hi Agapij, I am having the exact problem as well.  Could you possibly tell me the model # of the motherboard they installed so I could get one as well?  thank you SO much!

7 Posts

February 20th, 2013 14:00

My latest fiasco is that they are telling me a technician has come to my home and replaced the motherboard, so all is good.  The only problem is... NO ONE HAS COME AND REPLACED THE MOTHERBOARD!  Such a ship of fools, and remarkable lack of concern for their customers.

I've been waiting a month (a month!!) for this to be resolved, so had to buy a replacement laptop.  Got a Toshiba at Best Buy and their customer service knocked me out.  The first shipment got lost, and when I called to tell them I hadn't received it, they said, "Not your problem.  We'll figure it out with UPS, and in the meantime will overnight a replacement to you."  That's how you treat your customers!

7 Posts

February 20th, 2013 14:00

My laptop is still with the technician waiting for parts.

1 Message

February 21st, 2013 05:00

Same problems with the Dell XPS 13 here. Mainboard should be replaced by a technician but they don't have it and they don't know when they will get it. The costumer service is just poor. I mean my ultrabook broke down after 2 weeks and they don't want to take it back or replace it.

7 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 13:00

Here's a crazy idea...  Give us back our money so we can go buy laptops that actually work!

7 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 13:00

They replaced the motherboard on Friday and its still not fixed. Now they're trying the video card. Not sure there is anything left to replace after this.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2013 07:00

I have the same problem few days ago, the solution is upgrade the bios. At the moment this is the last version:

www.dell.com/.../xps-13-l321x-mlk

2 Posts

April 25th, 2013 14:00

I am experiencing the same problem...is the service center in Austin?  Like you, I am disappointed that this problem seems to be so prevalent, but right now, all I want is to get my laptop back up and running.  Were you able to recover your data?

1 Message

May 6th, 2013 07:00

Hi everyone

I am experiencing exactly the same problems and i feel currently extremely upset with all DELL products (my personal computer has also broken a few days ago, after less than one year and the change of the harddrive) !

I have a XPS 13 that encountered first the problem described by starfish91457 : only the logo flashing and no possibility to access the BIOS menu. After a few calls with DELL, a technician came and changed the motherboard. It was then working perfectly. But only a few weeks later, it started again with the slight difference that now i can access the BIOS menu. But no change in the parameters seems to work (exactly like the others, i can't swith the SATA Operation to anything else than ATA  and it is already fixed to AHCI). The problem is that now the DELL technicians refuse to change the motherboard and want to reinstall windows8 (they don't care that I loose all my data , despite the computer is only 6 months old now) and we are loosing our time !!! I am so disappointed that after more than 15 years of constant purchases by Dell, you can be treated like that

If anyone has found a solution, please help me !  

1 Message

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

I am another. Again, anything not to have to have a horrific customer services ordeal

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 14:00

I am not sure that this is the cause, but apparently you have to turn-off Windows update and manage it manually.  I am only selectively accepting critical updates.  If you are automatically accepting Windows updates, you ran the one that caused the issue in the first place (something about corrupting the key/registry).  I know this sounds goofy, and they really should identify what is causing the issue and fix it...but they haven't.  I'm not sure they are receiving the proper feedback from the field techs on this.  I am backing up daily out of fear that this is going to happen to me again...disappointing...

2 Posts

June 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi, 

I live in the Dominican Republic, 4 month ago I was in USA and bought a dell xps 13 ultrabook.  I am having the same problem, when I start the system the Dell logo appears, after that "F12 Menu Options" message appeared, then nothing happens.   I run diagnostics tools and it says everything is ok.  It seems it will take time to fix this laptop.  I need to take out some files I was working on for several weeks.  Can I do that? Is there a way to access the hard drive to copy these files?

regards,

fp

No Events found!