Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2013 06:00

Dell xps 13 won't boot. Stuck after dell logo flashes up

Hi. I have a dell xps 13. I purchased it in nov 2012 and it is running windows 8. It has been working perfectly until yesterday. When I turn it on the dell logo flashes up then it stops. I can see the f12 option in the bottom right and have managed to run diagnostics. It says there are no errors. It's like the laptop is running but I can't see anything on the screen. So frustrating. I tried to log a call but the dell site can't recofnise my service tag. Please help. Kaisha

1 Message

June 20th, 2013 17:00

I have a Dell XPS 8500 and as of this morning, it would not boot. I got the logo on the black screen and pressing f12 and f2 did nothing. After spending a lot of time on the phone with customer reps arranging for a technician to come to the house, I tried once more, this time without the keyboard and it started right up.

It was the damn keyboard!!! No idea why.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2013 19:00

I'm not a computer/software expert but I was having the same exact problem. I came across the solution below for a different Dell computer before I stumbled upon this thread, but it looked like the "problem" was exactly the same as mine and as what is experienced here. This solved the problem for me.

Credit goes to AC-NSB.

Hello.

I had the same exact problem.

After extensive research, I managed to fix it.

Here's what I did...

-Power ON the computer.

- After the Dell logo, when the screen goes black, Power OFF.

-Then, Power ON again and Press F2 to get into the BIOS.

-When you are in the Bios, Go to the "BOOT" menu.

-Then go to "SECURE BOOT" and select "DISABLED"

-Then go to "ADD BOOT OPTION" and press "Enter"

- In the new window that opens up, go to "BOOT OPTION NAME", and type  "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" without the quotes.

- Tab down to "YES" and Press Enter

- Now, you should see "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" in the list under "BOOT PRIORITY ORDER and UEFI BOOT.

- Press the "+" key to move "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" to the top of the boot list.

-Press F10 to Save Changes and Exit.

Your computer should now boot normally from now on.

It worked for me.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2014 06:00

DELL-RAJATH N -

my dell XPS runs on windows 7 and it stopped rebooting. Halts on windows logo and all I get is please wait with the circular arrow indefinitely.  plz help

thx

amy

1 Message

August 11th, 2014 14:00

I have the exact same problem as starfish. Talked to the service center and he says he can tell me how to fix it but it costs $129 to tell me. How about that. A known dell problem with a computer just over one year old and they want $129 to tell the key strokes to regain control of the computer. 

Anyone know how to solve?

3 Posts

August 11th, 2014 16:00

@Snowshoe15, I had the same issue with a flash based laptop running Windows 8. Found a solution under a different thread but it worked for my laptop. Mine's working like normal again. Check out the post that's 2 back from your's.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2014 03:00

Hello Rajath N

i got this DEll in nigeria and as beening working well untill one morning. after switching it up, it load into BIOS setup even if you shut it down 100times it still load the BIOS, only one in 100 it will booth to windowm, i have try to discharge the change and load default till back at square on.... BIOS setup, press f1 to f12, only f8 will prompt me to "load optmized default with an option yes or no" either one still the same result..

i even try to load to load a new OS, never got the chance to even press any key screen

please help

my dell model: inspiron N4030

please do a mail to me on

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

May 4th, 2015 03:00

try to remove your keyboard I have the same problem last week, I  unplug my usb keyboard and my pc boot normally , so with that action , I know that the problem was the keyboard. I buy a new one form logitech  and since then everything is OK

before to remove the keyboard I call Dell and the technician tell me the prob was A) dd is near to be dead !! b) the motherboard was defective !!!! cost 300$ +tax + transport fees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not believe what he tell me so I check and fint the solution by myself at less cost !

1 Message

May 30th, 2015 10:00

I have also been without my Dell XPS since October or November.  I called the tech line and paid $125 to get help,  The tech could not get it to work, so they sent me a USB drive with a new image.  It did not work, after about 5 hours total on the phone, they admitted the USB drive they sent didn't work and they knew there were issue with it before they even sent it out.  They made several appointments with me stating they would call  me, but didn't do it.  Eventually I gave up!  What really makes me mad is that I used to be in a position where I was the decision maker on purchasing our school districts computers.  I was a die-hard Dell fan, especially since our techs were Dell certified.  We spent well over one million a year on updating our laptops, desktops, servers, etc. However, as an individual user, the service is completely different.  I would never recommend Dell again, so disappointed.  I have had a tech try to put in a new hard drive, which works in a different computer, but when installed back in the Dell XPS, it stops working.  I am writing this on my Lenovo Twist, I really like the hybrid laptops.  So disappointed with Dell!

May 21st, 2016 18:00

Hi 

I've had the same problem....and I was created an usb boot with windows 8 and running the from this usb my laptop with my broken windows 7, running the recovery program and the search exit to actual windows 7 or if isn't work repair windows 7 without delete any files , and then all should be work , for some reason the windows 8 program repairs a base of windows 7,  also ingress to secure mode first before normal booting 

if you have some question email me on "<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>"

PD: sorry for my english

regards

No Events found!