kaisha
1 Copper

Re: Dell xps 13 won't boot. Stuck after dell logo flashes up

My laptop is still with the dell technicians. They replaced the fan but no luck. Replaced the hard drive no luck. They are currently waiting on a new motherboard.

0 Kudos
nikta-sf
1 Copper

They have sent two different technicians to try replacing my hard drive--even though my tech guy told them it was the motherboard--and they still have not even ordered the part for me.  It's like a game of making us call 5, 6 or 7 times, spend hours and hours on the phone with their tech support and "customer service," etc.  I really think they hope folks will just give up.  It's insane.  I gotta say, once this is resolved, I'm done with Dell--and I've been a 15+ year very loyal customer (and am a business owner who has staff on Dells).  Crazy way to do business.

0 Kudos
NSym
1 Copper

I had the same problem. Dell XPS 13, had it since about November. Now and again when I started it the dell logo would flash up, but it would then hang and not load Windows. Just a backlit black screen. If I turned it off then on, it would then load Windows. Then one morning turning it off and on didn't bypass the issue, so I was stuck with that black screen.

I called Dell to try and solve it. I could only get into the BIOS settings, and changing things in there didn't solve it. So I was told to take it to a service centre.

Just got my laptop back from the service centre (after 5 business days) and it's now as good as new. The problem in my case was that the motherboard had failed and needed to be replaced. Everything else seems fine.

Pretty disappointing for a new notebook to have a hardware failure so quickly, but I'm happy with the customer service.

0 Kudos
nikta-sf
1 Copper

Wow NSym, your experience is light-years better than mine has been.  Exact same problem, with the exact same build up to complete failure.   The difference is Dell has been jerking me around for nearly three weeks--and I still don't have a working computer.  As this was my work computer, I had to GO BUY ANOTHER COMPUTER, since I can't be without one for three weeks!

And, there has never been an offer of taking it to a service center.  And wow--five days!!--that would have been fantastic.  I've had to endure probably about 10 calls, and am now waiting for my third technician visit.  And from the second call with them my tech guy told them it was the motherboard.

They've spent more on calls and technician visits than they would have if they just would have fixed it from the beginning (clearly this computer has a problem--and clearly they know about it).  Or what they really should do for us, with our nearly brand new computers, is send out a replacement immediately, take back the old one, fix it and sell it as refurbished.  It would ultimately cost them less than all the time they've put against treating me badly.

I am DONE WITH DELL--and am loudly proclaiming this to anyone who will listen, as well as all over social media.  Anyone who would buy from them knowing this is how they treat long-term customers should have their head examined.

0 Kudos
kaisha
1 Copper

Latest update I received is that the motherboards are out of stock with no ETA.

0 Kudos
starfish9457
1 Copper

I am having the same issue but can't even get into the BIOS, so I'm out of luck.  My issue happened right after a Windows 8 update.  Something in that update caused my problem, since my laptop has worked flawlessly since I got it until the update.  I rebooted and nothing but the Dell logo and gray screen.  Nothing I do takes me into the BIOS so even though I have a flash drive with system on it, I can't boot to it.  

0 Kudos
starfish9457
1 Copper

That's a good suggestion, but in my situation I can't even get into the BIOS.  I see the Dell logo but nothing I do lets me get into BIOS.  I was on the phone for over an hour with Dell Support, and they couldn't figure it out either, so now I'm having to ship the laptop for repair. I'm not a happy camper.

0 Kudos
agapij
1 Copper

Finally, I have my laptop fixed. After the first attempt to replace the motherboard (with a wrong model),  the Dell technician replaced the motherboard with the correct model today and now everything seems fine with the laptop.

0 Kudos

Where do you work??? You are a smart guy. I changed the setting to AHCI and the computer warned me that it may not start, but started up with no problems. To be on the safe side I changed the setting back to Intel Smart Response Technology. Thank you for your post, it took all but five minutes to fix what might have been hours with tech support. My wife is very happy too.

0 Kudos
Geekswife
1 Copper

Hi Agapij, I am having the exact problem as well.  Could you possibly tell me the model # of the motherboard they installed so I could get one as well?  thank you SO much!

0 Kudos