danando10
1 Copper

Dell xps 15 9550 - internal rapid storage technology problem?

Basically the automatic dell updater informed me there was a BIOS update available, so I ran it and let it do its thing updating the firmware etc.

Once the laptop restarted there was an icon on the bottom of the screen with a yellow exclamation mark over it, upon opening it I was taken to an intel rapid storage technology screen. Here it told me that the system was reporting one or more events and that data may be at risk.

The storage system view on the right side of this screen highlighted the PCIe SSD at risk with an exclamation mark. I didn't know what to do so I restarted the laptop and now after opening the intel rapid storage technology / SMART screen it seems fine and has a green tick over the SSD where there was previously a yellow exclamation mark.

I've backed up the ssd but now I have no idea what to do. I've read that the warning means the hard drive will fail sooner or later? but now its showing as functioning normally. I'm a little disappointed as the machine is not even a year old yet and I don't like the idea that the hard drive is going to fail in the near future.  

Could anybody offer me some help as what to do? anything to check the condition of the SSD? replace immediately?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell xps 15 9550 - internal rapid storage technology problem?

If you only saw it once and it went away after a reboot, then that was probably a glitch.  If SMART had predicted an impending failure, that would not be "cleared" even temporarily just with a reboot.  I also don't think SSDs use SMART in the first place, but I could be wrong about that.  I actually just configure my systems to use AHCI rather than RAID so I don't use Rapid Storage at all.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell xps 15 9550 - internal rapid storage technology problem?

It's too bad you didn't look at the error message that triggered the exclamation point, but one idea given that you performed a BIOS update is that it might have updated the firmware on the RAID controller, in which case Windows might have had to re-detect that RAID controller and reload that driver, and that could have prompted the monitoring application to throw a warning/error.

0 Kudos