Highlighted
htike
1 Copper

Dell xps 15 9550 issues

I am having two problems with my dell xps 15 9550. My comprehensive warranty ran out last November 2016,  and being a student, I cannot afford to use dell's out-of-warranty diagnostic which will set me back over 30 euros. 

I have xps 15 with 4k setup bought at launch. 

PROBLEM 1

My touchpad is un-clickable when laptop gets a bit hot. 

The touchpad literally protrudes from the palm rest and both left/right click keys cannot be pressed anymore. It is especially worse on the left side of touchpad. It started happening a month or so ago. At the beginning, I noticed it happened under intensive usage (e.g. gaming), now it is happening any time the system is turned on or in sleep mode. When I completely turn off the system, it goes back to normal state. 

After a quick google-ing and reading the repair manual, it looks like it is the problem with battery. And I feel unsafe using this extremely pricey laptop given the extreme consequences of battery explosions in the news recently.

On a side note, I only have ever gotten like 3 hours of battery life using Chrome on 4k display with minimum brightness since the beginning. 

Can someone please help me with the battery issue as to where I can get replacement, support, etc? 

I have googled and couldn't really find any useful/good site to get a replacement battery in UK and dell's official site do not sell replacement batteries. 

PROBLEM 2

The screen also comes out of the frame while using. This is not as serious problem as potentially explosive battery, but I would have expected a better built quality for £1600 piece of hardware. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
johnptd
3 Silver

RE: Dell xps 15 9550 issues

Take a look at the numerous posts regarding this battery problem with the XPS 15 9550. This is unfortunate. People have paid a pretty penny for this laptop only to have the battery start swelling after about a year. I have had batteries last several years without a problem on other laptops.

JohnD

0 Kudos