Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2012 10:00

Dell xps 15 l502x with gt540m graphics card keeps on crashing

I keep on having this problem where my laptop keeps on crashing the games themselves. There is no stutter or looping of the audio and the screen doesn't go black, the game simply just freezes on the last thing I was looking at. I can alt+tab out of it and everything.

I am currently using the stock drivers because I sent my laptop in for the issue where the whole computer would crash and would loop the sound, so when I sent it in they told me that the problem was because I was using the new drivers, so they switched me back to the stock drivers. I am almost certain this is a driver issue, if so is there a solution to this?

3 Posts

February 12th, 2012 19:00

just to follow up, i got my motherboard replaced on my laptop now it works perfectly fine :)

1 Message

July 26th, 2014 23:00

I have tried this solution and it works!
try it
and u can  set Physx configuration on GT 540M from nVidia control panel :)
have fun

1 Message

February 11th, 2012 16:00

I am having the SAME exact problem. I have heard that some people return the latop and get the motherboard replaced...

36 Posts

February 12th, 2012 19:00

If this is the current model offered by Dell with this problem, it makes me wonder about not purchasing it.  My XPS 1530 Intel Core 2 Duo T7800 2.6GHz with Nvidia Geforce 8600GT graghics card needs a motherboard replacement.  Most suggest just buying another laptop but I won't go to another XPS 1530 if you are experiencing these problems with yours.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2012 12:00

well this problem ONLY occurs with the GT 540m version, my friend bought the exact same model dell xps 15 laptop as me, but he opted for the 525m instead of the 540m. He has not had any problems with his at all, and the laptop is very good for what you are paying for it. Also there isn't much of a difference between 525m and 540m, just the 540m has 2gb of VRAM instead of 1gb of vram, as well as an average 5 fps boost in graphics, which is good, but for the extra $100 i paid to have this graphics card put in, it was not worth it.

All in all, this laptop has been great other then the motherboard(which the graphics card is embedded into) issue.

September 13th, 2012 15:00

BTW I am using GT 525M so its not just a problem with the 540M. This is why i think it was a dell manufacturing problem with the component that I reatached the solder points on.

September 13th, 2012 15:00

:emotion-1: I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW AND I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!! Two things I did, one I replaced the thermal pads with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. The first time I applied the thermal compound I still had the same issues and I was getting so frustrated. So the i took my laptop apart again and looked at every component on the back and front of the mobo surrounding the graphics card and  discovered on the back of the mobo a disconnection on what I think is a capacitor. Its square and silver in color with two solder points on 2 of the corners parallel to each other. All I did was take a pair of pliers and gently compressed the two solder points back against the chip and WAHHHH LAAAAAA it no longer freezes nor crashes. I don't know how I found this but I'm amazed that it actually worked. I am SOOOOOOO pleased now. If anyone is still having this problem and would like to know more details such as pictures or what let me know. Been playing battlefield on high setting for 4 hours now and no crash or freezing when before I would play for a minute and it would crash/freeze.

12 Posts

February 5th, 2013 03:00

Hi bro

I can't get any guaranty service in my country and the video problem is really bothering. I'll be really grateful if you help me on this.

Regarding your experience on your own laptop and about that solder that you compressed.

Can I have a screenshot?

Coz I can't risk opening my laptop (as I'm inexperienced) , and I watched a lot of pictures couldn't find the location of the part you said. I'll be very grateful for your instructions...

5 Posts

July 8th, 2013 00:00

Does it still works perfectly until now? I have got Dell to replace my motherboard, heat sink, fan, twice. And still having issue while playing 3D games. I have to use MSI Afterburner to reduce the 540M's core clock to 520MHz and Memory Clock to 750MHz to be able to play any 3D games, which is bad!!!

5 Posts

July 8th, 2013 00:00

Can you send me the pictures of the disconnected component on the motherboard? I really hope to solve my problem!!! Thanks!

1 Message

October 12th, 2014 06:00

I am having the same problem with my xps l502x. I disassembled my Laptop buy could not find the capacitor on the back of the motherboard. Could you help me out?

4 Posts

April 9th, 2016 11:00

My xps 15 has the GT 525M and it crashes very often.

No Events found!