KishenG
1 Copper

Dell xps m1530 NVIDIA GPU

A while ago my xps m1530 stopped working. It would still boot, but my screen wasn't working (and the external screen test also failed). So I did some research and it was the infamous Nvidia bug. So I read several cases of people who had their motherboard replaced by dell for a modest price (34 euro, I live in the Netherlands). So after reading the case file that all m1530 laptops between a certain time period had extended warranty (and mine was also bought in this time period) I called Dell support in the Netherlands.

I was connected with different departments and finally they connected me with someone who had an answer. But it wasnt an answer I expected, he told me that my 8600M Nvidia card was not marked in the computer as a version that was under the extended warranty rule. At first he told me that the extended warranty wasnt valid because it was already 5 years since I bought the laptop (it wasnt, it was 4 years). So is it correct that not all xps m1530 are valid for the extended warranty? I'm disappointed because other customers had their dell fixed for 34 euros, even a week before I called.

So I did not read anything about any "good" version m8600 during that period. Also according to this link, http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2010/09/30/nvidia-gpu-update-nvidia-class-action-lawsuit-and-limited-warranty-enhancement.aspx?PageIndex=9#comments

There is an extended warranty, I was satisfied about my dell and was planning to buy a new xps15. But it feels that the person who "helped" me wasnt really helping me. It feels like he was making excuses not to help me. I also asked him what version m8600 do I have? He said: "I don't know, the computer just says you have the wrong version".

You can check for yourself, my service tag is: <Admin Note:service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>

I hope somebody can clear some of the doubts I have....

0 Kudos
18 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Dell xps m1530 NVIDIA GPU

It is true that nVidia has always claimed that only some of the chips were defective.  Other sources claim they're all defective and that nVidia never redesigned the chip as would be required to fix the problem.  

With a system that is 4+ years old it's likely impossible to differentiate a failure due to the design flaws in this chip from normal age-induced mortality.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

The extended warranty was one additional year, but this was only in the USA. Other countries may have had other coverage.

I thought I had a "good" version of the 8600M, but had a failure after 3 1/2 years. Fortunately I had a five year warranty. I have not heard of any special out-of-warranty coverage for this problem.

Initially, failures were high with M1330s using the 8400M chip, and many thought the M1530 with the 8600M was a much smaller problem. However, the technician who came  to replace the system board indicated Dell had a huge number of M1530 8600M replacement boards in stock. Note that the first replacement board was also faulty, and I had to send the laptop to the "Depot" for additional replacement(s). It might be possible that the low cost replacements you mentioned were kept low because Dell not needs to use up the large inventory.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

KishenG
1 Copper

Actually in the Netherlands and if you review different internet support forums there were a lot of M1530 failures with the same 8600M problem. Dell even had a special bios update to increase the active fan time. Most users could temporarily fix their M1530 with a heat gun on the 8600M or "bake" their motherboard in the oven. After I got these reactions I also tried the heat gun method and my M1530 is working again (although I dont think it will last that long).

The Dell stopped working after 3 years, but it showed signs of the "bug" a year before that. It's my own fault that I did not contact Dell during that period because I only had 1 year of warranty. I wasnt aware of the extended warranty period. So I waited far too long to contact Dell for a solution. But 

Thank you for your reply! I will fix the M1530 myself (I hope a more permanent solution) and wont expect any help from Dell anymore. 

0 Kudos
gaucho206
1 Nickel

RE: Dell xps m1530 NVIDIA GPU

I have all the problems mentioned in this very long thread that seems to condense down to the no POST failure, GPU failure:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-xps-m1530-wont-boot.136791/

my machine no longer boots up.

so if i get a new motherboard, then can i squeeze a few more years out of my machine?

is a new motherboard the best (maybe only) fix?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP...

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

All of these have defective GPUs - and all the replacement boards are several years old, so it may or may not pay to replace the board.  It'll cost $200 or so just for the part and you can find new notebooks selling for less than twice that - with far faster processors.

gaucho206
1 Nickel

i had all but given up and i found some motherboards on eBay for $70.  i was thinking if i could get a couple more years out of this machine for $100, then i would do it.

for some reason i have emotional attachment to this little guy and in the very least i was wanting to salvage some parts out of it somehow.  i know i can at least salvage the hard drive for misc storage.

i know i should just let it go, but i can't yet.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

A $70 eBay board is probably removed from a busted M1530. If it has the Nvidia GPU, it may fail again (if it already hasn't). I don't agree that all the replacement boards from Dell are defective. I had one replaced and it works fine. GPU temperatures run cooler than the original, which is important for the M8600 GPU. Failures occurred because of wide temperature variations, which eventually resulted in mechanical failure of the chip substrate. However, it will cost at least $300 to have Dell make the replacement. If you can find a board with integrated graphics at a good price on line, you might be OK. Problem is graphics performance will be much poorer than the M8600 Nvidia chip. Cost wise, you would be better off with a new laptop, but for $400-500. You will get a faster processor (if an i5 or better, larger hard drive and Windows 8.1. You will not get one with a screen as good as the M1530 however; you will need top\ go up in price for that.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

While the M1330 was offered with Intel video (and that model is generally reliable), the M1530 never was -- the 8400GS and 8600GT were the two chips offered, and both are known to be of the same faulty design.  At this point, these models are old enough that failures due to the chip's faulty design (the materials used couldn't stand up to thermal cycling, not necessarily the temperatures), are indistinguishable  from failures due to normal aging of the components.

0 Kudos
gaucho206
1 Nickel

this entire affair is just sad.  sad. sad. sad.

I customized this machine to my exact specs.  it's funny you mention the display b/c i absolutely love the display.  it is absolutely beatutiful.  i got the highest resolution available at the time.  if it were not for the poor quality of these NVIDIA parts in my Tuxedo Black M1530, i would have a great entertainment and web browsing machine for at least another couple of years, easy.

i was a very gentle and tender user of my beloved laptop for years.  i still am even though it's busted as i try to boot it up every once in a while!  and if i had abused and beat up the machine a little sooner, then i probably could have taken advantage of the NVIDIA settlement and not be left emotionally scarred.

but with this final chapter all but closed, i have a dead machine and emotional damage.  after buying dell for years as a consumer, and still even maintaining and using a Latitude D610 with recently upgraded 2GB of memory for web browing for non-power-user family members, due to this issue, i can't buy dell ever again.

and i know that doesn't mean much.  i work for, and have worked for very large companies, so my small handful of computers is not worth anything to a multi-billion dollar company like dell who sells millions of dollars worth of computers to enterprise customers.  

and i know it's just the way it is.   it's just the way it goes.

but to close out with my sadness...  now i am shopping for a new (non-dell) laptop and i have this haunting of what am i going to do if i custom configure another dream machine and it dies on me again just outside the waranty period??  now i have to think about buying extended warranties to protect myself.  and it's just so completely disatisfying.

my M1530 is now going to become a scrap parts project.  I found some tutorials about salvaging the screen and maybe the CD/DVD drive.  I can save  the memory and of course the hard drive.  maybe i will take the shell that is left and use it for target practice to get final closure.

bye bye dell!  it's was good for a while...