same with my dell xps m1210, the screen is not working , it can boot up

xps = xtreme performance <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell xps m1530 NVIDIA GPU

EJN63:

It is indeed  a temperature problem.

Thermal cycling is worse when the temperature difference is greater. There were two "reasons" forwarded by many for the G84/G85 problem. One was use of improper packaging material that was not approved (change made by the Fab I heard) and a voltage bump to allow for a higher clock speed than the original design. The bump will lead to increased operating temperatures which may not have been anticipated by Dell, HP and the rest. With small heat sinks in laptops and using the same sink for the CPU and GPU, it's not suprising that the system could become overloaded. Many posts indicate laptops with these chips ran hot. My M1530 ran hot till the problem arose and Dell issued a new BIOS that ran the fan on low speed continuously instead of off. This change indeed lowered both the CPU and GPU temps. My M1530 lasted 4 1/2 years before failing. I had purchased a five year warranty because of this issue and got a warranty replacement. Temps now run about 10°C lower than before, and no new problems after 2 1/2 years.

I think that OEMs ahve always ignored cooling issues in laptops, probably to keep fan noise down. My E1705 (still running with Win 8.1 !!) had a horrible fan profile in the BIOS. The fan stayed off till the temp got way too high and then came on high; lots of temp cycling). I was able to use I8kfangui to set a reasonable fan/temp profile. Now you very rarely hear the fan above medium speed. Unfortunately this program doesn't work with the M1530 or most newer Dell laptops. I was also not successful using SpeedFan with the M1530.

Kirk

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

I still don't think it's the temperature that's the problem - yes, it can make the situation appear more rapidly (and the BIOS updates that were released to alleviate the problem did cause the fans to run more often and faster), but there are systems that used these chips - particularly Lenovo's ThinkPads, which have among the best thermal management design going, which experienced failures along with the rest of them.

It's tough to manage heat inside any notebook, but there are definitely suppliers that do better than others.  And all of them had problems with these chips that didn't appear with contemporary ATI chips.   And while nVidia tried to blame TSMC (the fab that built the chips), the general engineering consensus I've seen is that nVidia's design was at fault - not the manufacturing process.

At any rate, notebooks just are not designed for the long haul -- if you can get 3-4 years out of any notebook without major problems you're doing very well.  In fact there are plenty of notebook vendors that won't even let you buy a warranty longer than 36 months -- Apple prime among them.

0 Kudos
gaucho206
1 Nickel

last night I booted up my very old  Inspiron 5000.  all black.  heavy, loud beast that she is.  she booted up just fine. I used/abused her like heck on the job.   and she  still works like  a charm!  again... a beautiful display.  I grow attached to these machines that I spent so much time with.  if it were not for the people making the decisions  of what is profitable and unprofitable then I would be unreasonably loyal to dell forever. 

what came first... cut throat corporate policies or disloyal employees+customers?

what came first... cutting corners in chip design to maximize profit or compromised manufacturing processes to maximize profit?  no one with half a brain would dare to take responsibility in corporate life and risk losing the roof over their children's heads. 

our idol is profit.  even to the detriment of our own long term well being. 

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

If you look back at what you paid for that system (I have one as well, and it was about $2,500 when new), and compare it to prices on current systems, you'll see why manufacturers can't afford to over-engineer systems any longer.  In 2000, that was a mid-range consumer notebook.  Now those sell for $500-700.

It's the consumer that drives the engineering by demanding the lowest possible prices - just as it's the consumer who has driven support for consumer-level systems offshore to India, the Philippines, etc.

0 Kudos
gaucho206
1 Nickel

thanks folks for reading and letting me vent.  i much appreciate the feedback too.

so long... farewell... goodbye...

0 Kudos
jolaw
1 Nickel

amazing very xtreme performance system, my super very xtreme performance system is now only display blank screen

i will give this super super xtreme performance system for free to dell, do you want it ? do you have store in jakarta , i will give it for free for this super performance system

behold this is xtreme performance system, when you search in google, how many people have same syndrome with this one

behold , this is xtreme performance system m1210

jolaw
1 Nickel

i forget add something

remember XPS is should stand for Xtreme Performance System and Not Xtreme Performance S...

0 Kudos
Crystal83
1 Copper

@gaucho206 : I echo your emotions. I also spent my hard earned money stretching well above my budget for XPS M1530. But as you said, this entire affair is just sad.  sad. sad. sad. I still have this laptop lying silently in a corner of room Smiley Sad

0 Kudos