Highlighted
toniaOC
1 Copper

Dell xps13 with DW1560 wireless card cannot see my 5GHz WLAN

I have a new router and upgraded internet connection to 80mbps, but as my laptop cannot find my 5ghz signal, I can't take advantage of the new speeds as the 2.4GHZ is limited to just under 20mbps.  However, my apple products (iphone and ipad) have no problem accessing.

I have checked and the DW1560 should be able to pick up 5GHZ I believe.  Any ideas how I manage this would be gratefully received!

Tonia

0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Dell xps13 with DW1560 wireless card cannot see my 5GHz WLAN

Hi Tonia,

That's a new one to me to be honest.  I've seen / heard of cards that wouldn't connect to networks but this is the first I can remember where one band will connect but the other won't.

The DW1560 should absolutely see / connect to a 5 GHz network.   Is your router broadcasting it's SSID at the 5 GHz settings and the card can't "see" the network to connect?  I just want to confirm that's what you meant so I understand what is going on.

Are you using the same SSID you had with your previous router?  (What operating system are you using, btw?)  Maybe you can try deleting your wireless profiles in the system, reboot, and then see if the system can see the network?  (you can find specific steps to delete the profiles by doing an online search for "delete wireless profiles Windows XX", just substitute your Windows version for the XX)

You may also want to try to update the driver for the card just in case that also resolves the issue.  You can go to our support site, input your service tag, and click on Drivers & Downloads once the pages refresh.  Make sure you change the OS version if needed to match what you're using.

Let me know if either of those options help.  If not I'll see what else I can find to suggest to help you.

Todd

0 Kudos
toniaOC
1 Copper

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply.

I am running Windows 10, which for me has been a lot better than 8 :-)

The router is new with the upgraded line and is provided by the telephony/internet provider.  The router is broadcasting 2 channels one at 2.4GHZ and one at 5GHZ which my apple devices see and connect to.  The 2 channels have different names so that i can choose the speed of connection.  The 2.4ghz is limited to about 18mbps.  The internet connection is 90mbs (measured around 88mbps downstream) and I'm hoping the 5GHZ can at least stretch to 40mbps.

The driver is dell adaptation of broadcom driver and is refreshed yesterday from the dell website.  However, it seems to only offer 2G, but I may be interpreting this incorrectly.  From the driver advanced settings which show some limits to 2.4 and some which imply I can set a bandwidth perference for 802.11a which I understand is 5GHZ.

2G bandwidth capablity - options only on 2.4G - 20 or 20/40mhz

Bandwidth capability - optons for 11a,g,b 20/40mhz, 802.11 g,b 20mhz, 11a 20/40 1bg: 20MHZ

I have tried the 'forget' network and re-establish.  I also have a 'hidden network' showing which I cannot connect to.  This could be a neighbour, though it has only shown up since I installed the new router and the signal is strong enough I would expect it to me in my house.  However, it should not show up as a hidden network as the wlan settings are to show the network (as you can see from the first screen grab).

I also have tried 'uninstall' drivers for the card and then allowed windows to find the right driver.  This reverted the adapter listing in device manager to broadcom 802.11 instead of the DW1560 name and no longer had the 2G Bandwidth Capability option in advanced settings.  However, my laptop lost all wireless in settings etc. and I could only connect via broadband.  I had to run dell update and repair which reverted to the dell driver and fixed it.  However, I couldn't see the 5GHZ still.

Thanks for your advice - I have 3 people working during the day at my house and 20mbps isn't enough to go around on one WLAN!

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm still looking into this, trying to find out what settings need to change to make your laptop "see" the 5 GHz network, but have a few questions.

I assume you've tried moving your laptop near the router just to make sure it's not a distance issue?  Still won't see it from just a few feet away?

Please let me know what make and model of router you were provided.  I need to check settings on the router to make sure it's set up to be compatible with the 802.11AC protocol.  The card should be backwards compatible with 802.11n routers but may need a specific setting (either on the card or the router) to connect.  It's weird it can't see that 5 GHz network though, which I'm assuming is a compatibility / configuration issue, but unsure which side. 

Have you looked into updating the firmware on that router?  (there should be a setting in the router that allows you to update it's software).   Depending on the router model, and what updates it has, it may simply need a firmware update to be compatible with 802.11AC cards.  If nothing else, updating the router firmware can't hurt. 

Here is driver Version 7.35.295.0, A01 for the DW1560 card, for the XPS 13 9343 (which is what I assume you have).  Is this what you currently have installed on the system?

Let me know about that router and I'll update you as soon as I get some info back from a co-worker I've pinged.

Todd

0 Kudos
toniaOC
1 Copper

Hi Todd,

Just to say that some updates just ran on my computer in restarting this afternoon and since then and rebooting the box, I now have the 5GHZ to my computer.  Thanks for all the help - now resolved!

0 Kudos