Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 13th, 2011 07:00

Delly 1420 with Windows 7 Driver Problems

[8o|]  So frustrated!  I have a Dell Inspirion 1420 with Windows 7.  The CD/DVD on board doesn't work anymore (have no idea why) so I bought a Samsung Slim CD/DVD writer.  The computer can't "find" it so therefore the disk it comes with is no good.  I tried downloading the driver from their website and I get an error message about it having a "driver problem".  So I tried it on my work computer (running XP) and it works just fine.  Furthermore when I tried to update the drivers on my Dell at home, I keep getting Base System driver errors!  ARRG!!!!  The Dell at home is a 32-bit, originally had Vista but my daughter dropped it and a friend "fixed" it for me with Windows 7 and a new hard drive.  I have no disks for Windows at all and am hoping I won't have to buy any!  HELP Please!!!

2.7K Posts

A Base System Device can range from a sandisk card reader to a chipset device on your motherboard. You'll usually find this after you attach a new component and your system doesn't see it as it should. When you installed the new drive did you install the chipset drivers? You can find these on the Dell Downloads using your service tag.   When you check Device Manager (Right-Click on 'My Computer' and choose properties. Click on 'Hardware' tab. Click on Device Manager tab). Do you have any yellow exclamation marks which would mean that you are missing drivers? 

3 Posts

Yes under CD ROM drives I believe.  It has the yellow ! sign for the on board and the new one.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2011 09:00

Cerdwa,

Did you install Windows 7 or recently reinstall the operating system?

Try...

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Rick

3 Posts

October 13th, 2011 10:00

No, it's been as it is for the last year and a half or so with no problems.  It hasn't been dropped recently (I take much better care of my technology than my ditzy daughter did....LOL) or had any major hardware/software changes.  The only thing on it that really updates on a regular basis is my RoadRunner CA Security Suite and the only thing added is a Western Digital MyBook which works great.  I do get the Not a Genuine Windows 7 message ocassionally but it goes away after a while.  Since my friend did it for me, I have no idea what he used.

No Events found!