Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2012 11:00

Diagnostics error 2000:0142 (Hard Disk failed)

recently i was having some trouble with my XPS laptop.it crashes anytime then shows a blue screen and some error code(0*000000F4).
I ran diagnostics and got some error in hard disk test.
Error code was 2000:0142.
Computer is still working but sometimes crashes then i have to power off and restart it.
My Dell complete cover has expired..:(
Do i have to get my hard disk replaced?
Can you tell me how much it will cost me?
 or there is anything else that i can do?

September 20th, 2012 11:00

Hi demon2192,

Error code 2000:0142 means that the hard drive has gone bad and requires a replacement. As you are able to boot into windows, I recommend you to backup the laptop's data on an external hard drive. I am adding you as a friend. Please accept my request and reply through a private message with the system 'Service Tag' and 'Account Holder's' name. I will check the warranty status of the laptop and provide you the best support options available. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

September 21st, 2012 10:00

Hi demon2192,

Thank you for your prompt response. Error code 2000: 0146 may imply a possible 'hard drive' failure. For more decisive results, I recommend you to run a 'Custom Test' on the laptop's 'Hard Drive'. 'Custom Test' is an advanced diagnostic test and is capable of producing more reliable results. Follow the steps listed below to launch the hard drive custom test:
- Power off the laptop (Ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in)
- Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap key
- Select option 'Diagnostics'
Here are some screen shots demonstrating the progress of the PSA+ Diagnostics:

Tap if color bars appear (Refer to the image above)

If 2000:0146 error appears, please ignore the message and go ahead with the testing

Tap to launch 32 bit Diagnostics (Following screen appears):

From the factory the system's 'hard drive' will include a hidden partition with 32 bit Dell Diagnostics. After the completion of basic diagnostic process, you will be asked to continue to this Diagnostics program. If for some reason the hidden partition is not found on the hard drive, you will be presented with the option to insert the Resource DVD. Following screen appears in that case:

If required, use the Resource CD and follow the steps given below:
- Insert Recovery CD
- Shut down and restart the desktop
- When Dell logo appears, immediately tap repeatedly

NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then shut down your computer and try again.
- When the boot device list appears, highlight the option CD/DVD/CD-RW and press
- Boot from CD-ROM from the menu that appears and press
- This message appears ‘Press any key to boot from the CD’
- Promptly hit

NOTE: If you wait too long and Dell Diagnostic screen does not appear, then, shut down your computer and repeat all steps.
(Following screen appears):

- Press
When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the test you want to run
- Select Custom Test (Refer to image below)

- Click <+> sign besides 'Hard Drive' (Refer to image below)
- Highlight 'SATA Disk'
- Place a tick mark in 'Non-Interactive Tests Only'
- Click 'Run Test'

- For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
- Write down the error code and problem description exactly as it appears

Do reply with the findings. I would be glad to assist.

1 Message

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi.

I did all this testing.  Got the same error code and also got 0FOO-1332 BLOCK 309048546, WHAT EVER THAT MEANS.  System just out of warranty.

What caused this to happen:

I had attempted to renew McAfee and the download failed.  Got live chat with McAfee, tier one and tier two Indian reps took over my system and made copious changes to get the anti virus software to load..no success.

After 3 hours of this BS they bumped it up another level.  In the mean time McAfee has my money for the renew.  The very next time I turned on my Laptop, it would not boot and I got blue screen performing a cashe dump or recovering a cashe dump.  Would boot normally but immediately reboot.  Would only start in Safe  mode.  A McAfee tech called me back, got into safe mode, I deleted McAfee anti virus plus and rebooted.  This time the system booted normally.  The desk top had changed, the display is different, Icons are missing, but it works.

Now if I had a hard drive problem I would think that I would still have problems running the PC but I do not.

Windows 7 did not create a restore of my current system when the software McAfee was loaded and it should have.  Windows should every time new hardware and software is loaded in case crap like this happens. That way I could restore back to my last good operation without going through all this crap.  So, I don't know how to turn that windows option on.

I also can not find a copy of the software that is resident on my system anywhere.  Typically there is a copy of windows and the software that was loaded on the PC by the manufacturer somewhere on the system.  Since we bought the software and are licensed we should have it.

Made in China.

Thanks McAfee.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Remove and reinstall the Hard Drive for the error codes:

1000-0141

2000-0141

1000-0142

2000-0142

1000-0143

2000-0143

1000-0144

2000-0144

1000-0145

2000-0145

1000-0146

2000-0146

2000-0151

Please see the Service manual for instructions on how to remove and replace the Hard Drive. Be sure to remove and reinstall the cables for the hard drive if you are on a Desktop Computer.

After reinstalling the hard drive re-run the diagnostics if you receive the same error code Contact Us.

Run the Drive Self Test (DST) from the Utility Partition also known as the 32 bit diagnostics to determine if the previous error has been corrected. If the DST from the Utility Partition does not indicate a failure of the drive, we consider the error to have been corrected and the drive does not need to be replaced.

1 Message

October 17th, 2012 11:00

10/17/2012

I did the test and  te Error 0146 Mgs error code 2000-0146, Mgs Hard drive 0 test contain several errors.

1 Message

December 4th, 2012 21:00

I have followed all of the above directions as I have the same error code as above.

The findings are as follows:

My service tag is:  <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

Error Code 0F00:1332

Msg:  DISK - Block 330329538: Interrupt Request (IRQ) NOT SENT IN TIME

This is the first error on the report.  It is still running.

1.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 22:00

Hi smitch7711,

It appears to be an issue with hard drive of your computer and need replacement. I see that warranty of your computer has expired. You can get in touch with any local technician or Dell Spare Parts and Accessories at: http://dell.to/PlvA9D 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

1 Message

June 4th, 2013 00:00

Dear Sir,

I received the same errror when I started the diagnostic from setup. I can't start my windows

1. . Is there an option to enter windows with save mode? I tryied to search in Boot.
  2. Does it mean that I have to replace phisicaly the hard drive? I replaced it on august 2012. 

1.8K Posts

June 4th, 2013 03:00

Hi MayaM,

In case there are issues with operating system, then you may try to boot in Safe mode to see if it works. In case there is an issue with system hardware (hard drive in this case), booting in safe mode will not help.

Error code 0142 or 0F00:1332 indicates an issue with the hard drive. If you get this error message, you may consider replacing the hard drive of your computer. I would also recommend you to back up all the data that you need on any external USB storage device (If possible). 

If the system is under warranty, you may private message me the service tag of your computer. If the system is out of warranty, you may get in touch with any local technician or Dell support of your region to get this issue resolved. 

Please reply for further clarifications.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2013 22:00

same erroe 2000:0142 I'm also facing, please suggest me some recovery for that in cost effective manner.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 23:00

Hi abhayraj995,

2000:0142 error indicates the hard drive is faulty on the system you may consider replacing the hard drive on the system. Please backup the data from the system if it’s booting up. 

1 Message

August 30th, 2013 02:00

My Dell L502X 2-year premium international warranty expired last month. Today my system crashed suddenly and i get same diagnostic error. When i power on, I get error Message "A disk read error occurred".

Please let me know what options do i have now. I had purchased this laptop in USA and now i have moved back to India. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 30th, 2013 04:00

You will need to purchase a new, 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive.

2.6K Posts

August 30th, 2013 05:00

Hello MpMumbai,

The error code 2000-0142 means the hard drive self-test failed and the hard drive needs to be replaced. 

Since the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

You may also refer to this video on how to remove the hard drive from an XPS L502x.

Please write back if you have any further queries. 

1 Message

September 8th, 2013 12:00

Hello. I seem to have a similar problem. My computer will not load up, even in safemode. I was able to run dell diagnostics (similar to described above - but I have a 1545, not an xps). I received the error code 2000-0142 and have made peace with needing a new hard drive. Will I be somehow able to access data from the previous one? I don't know how I could do that if I can even get into windows. I have read several times about backing up files to a portable usb - I am ready and willing to do so, but is there some way to do that from within the dell boot options f12 menu? or am I just going to have to be content, whatever the circumstances, that I cannot retrieve my data? I have a lot of files, pictures, programs, etc. that I would like to restore.

Any advice out there?

Thanks.

No Events found!