Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2013 19:00

Dimension E520 2 beeps no POST no monitor output

Okay...get this...

PC quit working the other day with no hardware changes or anything. 

The fans run, the HDD spins up, the DVD spins up, no output to the monitor, and no POST.  2 quick beeps. Diagnostic lights 1, 2, and 3 are lit. 

I disconnected everything and performed the following with just the processor, motherboard, and ram...bare bones.

I found two popped capacitors on the mother board, so I replaced it.  No change. I tried one RAM stick at a time in each slot, and tried a total of 4 different sticks and no change.  I replaced the CPU...no change.  I tested the power supply and the voltage on all pins was within 5% tolerance. I tested the battery and it read 2.8 volts.

The only thing I haven't done is bought brand new memory sticks.

I have to ask though...can the  I/O panel on the front cause anything like this?

2 Posts

November 29th, 2013 14:00

Update... replaced the RAM with new sticks... didn't work. I salvaged another motherboard from a later model Dell...proprietary and unique to that model of course...bleh. I'm cutting the back panel of the PC out today so the new motherboard will fit. Never did understand what their engineers were thinking when they deviated from the ATX form factor. Anyway... got a new I/O panel and cable as well. We'll see what happens.
No Events found!