Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2013 17:00

Disabled function keys

Hi,

I've just done a clean install of Win7 on my XPS L702X (including the accompanying drivers and utilities CD), and now the function hotkeys are almost entirely unresponsive -- at first the on-screen icons (ex. screen brightness, media volume) would show up and display the changing levels but without any actual effect, now not even the icons are displayed.  The only key which shows an effect is the disable/enable touchpad function key, the little LED above the pad toggling on/off but without any change in the touchpad, it remains functional.  All regular keys on the KB appear to be working normally.

I've searched the forum on this and have attempted the fixes suggested, including downloading and installing the latest driver (Dell QuickSet) and performing a complete system diagnostic.  All tests pass -- in the KB test the actual Fn key, when pressed together with the Win key, is functional.

Sorry, this is nearly word-for-word like other questions showing up in the forum search and Google results, but the problem in this case remains unresolved.

Thanks!

- papilio

4.4K Posts

January 11th, 2013 20:00

Hi  papilio01,

Welcome to the Community,

Check the Function key behavior settings in BIOS and Windows Mobility Center.

To access BIOS tap F2 on stary up(Dell Logo),select Advanced tab,check if Function key behavior is set to Multi Media Key first.

Also within Windows access Windows Mobility Center(Control Panel) and check Fn Key Behavior settings.

Note:Updated Dell QuickSet utility should be installed on the system to use the Multimedia options using Fn key.Here is the link for the latest version available for your system model: www.dell.com/.../xps-l702x

Thank You

3 Posts

January 12th, 2013 00:00

Thank you Roshan L.  Yes, in every location mentioned above the Fn keys are set to function not multimedia.

After having installed the utility file which you link to I get volume/mute control back (though without the screen overlay icon), and the brightness overlay reappears when using only one display but has no effect at all.  Brightness does not respond either to the slider in the Quickset/Mobility Center control panel.

Quickset shows up under installed programs and is in the Dell folder, but does not appear in the start menu.  The quick tray icon is a '9' rather than the utility's logo, clicking on this '9' icon does nothing, totally inert.

** I'd like to disable the touchpad as it greatly interferes with typing, but my main concern is the inability to control on/off of the Wi-Fi, which I very much wish to disable in the interest of security (having had problems here in the past related to unauthorized access).

I see a good number of settings which can be set through registry values under Quickset, but don't know what the values determine nor to what the string values specifically refer.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-papiilio

4.4K Posts

January 12th, 2013 02:00

Hi  papilio01,

It looks like an issue with Dell Qucikset utilty.

Try uninstalling it again  and reinstalling it.If you still have problems and don't see the normal QuickSet Icon refer to this post for more information(tough its for a different system but may help in this situation) : en.community.dell.com/.../19851064.aspx

3 Posts

January 12th, 2013 08:00

Reinstalling leaves the following condition:

volume function keys: overlay appears and sound level changes properly

brightness function keys: overlay appears but no change occurs until the machine has rebooted

touchpad function key: LED toggles on/off but touchpad remains active even after a reboot

wireless function key displays overlay toggling on/off, I've no way to determine whether the current condition indicated is true

The '9' icon appears in the systray but clicking on it does nothing.  No Quickset in the Start programs.  It is set to start under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

I've also gone through the solutions suggested in the link you provided, situation remains as it was before reinstallation.

Is there a registry key which will disable the touchpad?  No way turned up in a regedit search for "touchpad".

On a side note, while in the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\  very many keys (ex. "device") have a subkey "CurVer" which points to "device.1" directly beneath the first on the tree.  Both have the same CLSID.  I've not seen this before, normal?

Thank you!

papilio

4.4K Posts

January 15th, 2013 00:00

Hi  papilio01,

I am not sure about the registry key however I would suggest you to reinstall Windows (Clean Install) and install the drivers in the correct order by following Step 4 and Step 5 in the link below :

support.dell.com/.../document

No Events found!