Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2013 21:00

Disabling Battery Charge While Plugged in

I recently purchased the dell Inspiron 15z and was wondering if there was a way to disable the battery from charging when im plugged in because I do not want to wear out the battery and would like to stay plugged in and not use the battery. I would just remove the battery normally but because this is an ultrabook I am not sure how to get to the battery, the battery doesn't seem to be on the outside.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

When did the problem start? Please check this thread for resolutions

en.community.dell.com/.../20174031.aspx

Let me know if further help is needed.

Regards,

5.2K Posts

March 17th, 2013 08:00

The battery will not overcharge. The battery circuity prevents. You can not disable the charging.

33 Posts

March 17th, 2013 09:00

but when I am plugged in it still says that it is charging when I have full battery is this supposed to happen? also how do I know that my laptop has that feature where it will not overcharge?

5.2K Posts

March 17th, 2013 11:00

Should stop charging when it's full. Sometimes it takes a while to shut off completely. If it continues to charge when it's full, contact Dell. This could happen if the battery circuity is faulty or the charger is faulty.

33 Posts

March 17th, 2013 12:00

If it stops charging when it is full will it run of the AC adapter power or the battery power? I want it to run of the Ac adapter power and not use the battery at all. thanks for answering my questions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 17th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

Laptops are designed to detect if Battery is Full, once this occured the circuit will divert all the power from Ac to the system alone. Once circuit detects that battery is less than 100% it will go back charging it. To prolong battery life, one good practice is not to drain it all the way. Once it warns you that battery is low, try charging it again.

Regards,

33 Posts

March 18th, 2013 13:00

take that back I actually have a 6-cell Prismatic battery does the memory apply to this type of battery?

33 Posts

March 18th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

You said that laptops are designed to not overcharge the battery because the circuit will divert all power from ac to the system alone. If this is true then how come my previous dell laptop had the battery fried when I was plugged in all the time. Also to prolong battery life should I drain it all the way sometimes or not at all. Since this is a lithium Ion battery I am assuming the battery memory thing does not apply am I wrong?

5.2K Posts

March 18th, 2013 15:00

Lithium ion batteries do not have a memory problem. However, sometimes things go awry, and you will get funny battery readings. In this case, you SHOULD discharge the battery to a low level to reset the circuit. Do not go below 35% too often, as deep discharges will shorten battery life capacity and life. Keeping the batter installed all the time DOES NOT shorten battery capacity or life.

Lifetime is based mostly on the number of discharge/charge cycles and how low the charge is allowed to go. Electric autos are set up to not discharge below about 50% (Prius) to 35% (Volt). The Volt uses improved Lithium technology. This is done to reduce the chances of batteries going dead; battery life is guaranteed for 100,000 miles and they are expensive.

My wife's E1705 Dell battery lasted 2 1/2 years and the first replacement 3 1/2 years. The batteries were always in place. My M1530 factory battery is 5 years old and still has over 50% of it's original run time. It's been in the laptop all the time.

33 Posts

March 18th, 2013 15:00

Prismatic battery is what I actually have, sorry do those have the memory problem? What I meant by leaving the battery in the laptop was plugging in to the outlet 24/7 with the battery in. Will this harm the battery? I also want to disable the battery from charging when I am plugged in because I do not want to Fry it however I do not have that Option in my battery meter how do I fix this?

5.2K Posts

March 18th, 2013 19:00

You will not damage the battery by leaving it in the laptop.

There is no option to stop a battery from charging.

Leave it in and don't worry.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 18th, 2013 22:00

I agree with KirkD. As mentioned lifetime is based mostly on the number of discharge/charge cycles and how low the charge is allowed to go.

33 Posts

March 19th, 2013 13:00

Ok thanks one last question to verify. I will not damage the laptop battery if I have it in and plug into the wall 24/7 am I correct?

5.2K Posts

March 19th, 2013 15:00

Not at all.

33 Posts

March 21st, 2013 17:00

I have another problem in my laptop. This time when I pick up the laptop one handed it creaks as if something is loose what should I do?

No Events found!