Highlighted
Shadowcthuhlu
1 Copper

Disabling desktop mode

Jump to solution

So, I got a message from the Dell software on my computer to give desktop mode a try since my laptop spends most of it's time plugged in since I moved. Then I started having some battery issues. (Battery is refusing to charge).

I'm not saying the two are connected, but I would like to disable desktop mode for troubleshooting purposes. The problem is I can't figure out how to do it. I'm am using a dell inspireon of the 3000 line, with windows 7 installed. (All of the guides  I have found are for windows 8 and 10, which is not helpful.)

Thank you for any help you might have.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jphughan
5 Tungsten

RE: Disabling desktop mode

Jump to solution

Go into the BIOS.  You'll find options for battery charging configuration in there.  If you have an "Adaptive" mode, that would be the default.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Go into the BIOS.  You'll find options for battery charging configuration in there.  If you have an "Adaptive" mode, that would be the default.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

That said, the battery "refusing to charge" is a deliberate behavior of desktop mode.  The idea is that charging a battery (and especially to 100%) reduces its long-term life, since batteries can only be charged so many times and maxing out their capacity is particularly "bad".  So if you configure your battery to only charge up to 80%, for example, and also tell it to allow itself to naturally discharge down to 50% even while on AC power before it starts charging AGAIN, your battery's long-term life will increase.  Obviously your battery life on a single charge will be lower (especially if you switch to battery power while it's down near 50%...), but that application detected that you tend not to spend much time running on battery and/or don't routinely come close to draining it, so it suggested that you might prefer to optimize your battery charging strategy for long-term life rather than single-charge capacity.  Tesla cars actually default to only charging themselves to 80% for this exact reason.  You have to manually select a "Max Range charge" mode every single time you want it to go to 100%, and they recommend against doing this on a routine basis.

0 Kudos
Shadowcthuhlu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

To be a bit more specific, the computer accidentally got unplugged earlier this week, and during that time, the battery went down to below 25 percent. That's when I started having the issues with the battery refusing to charge.

0 Kudos