Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 18th, 2015 13:00

Display Driver turns screen unstable XPS 13 (9343)

Hi!

I've recently (April) purchased a XPS 13 laptop with infinity display (9343).

I've been using it as normal, no major glitches. About a week or two ago, during a game of Civilization V, I started getting an error stating that "the display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I didn't mind that much until it became more and more frequent, to the point that it started constantly freezing my screen and all manner of disruptions started to occur, even on the login screen or simple browsing without video running (flashes of color, weird polygon surfaces flickering and text background going black, that kind of stuff).

I also noticed a few Microsoft updates were automatically installed around that day (possible conflict?)

This display instability (while worse at certain times than at others, including ocasional Blue screens with the VIDEO_TDR_ERROR - where the igdkmd64.sys driver was identified) continued in the next days as I tried to update the drivers from the Dell site (9343_Video_Driver_MD9FG_WN_10.18.10.4013_A01) , and then from the intel site and even from Windows Update, and then all other drivers also from the Dell site (BIOS, etc). Nothing. From time to time, all *** broke loose on the screen or I'd get constant driver failure errors.

The only thing that seems to calm this down is by uninstalling the recent driver and reverting back to the basic microsoft one (from 2006). The problem with this option is that games like Civilization V become excessively sluggish, since the old driver seems not to be able to take advantage of the existing hardware capacity.

I've tried cleaning up the registry with CCleaner, tried installing all updates from Dell, tried activating the maximum performance profile on the power profile. Nothing.

The game doesn't even launch when I have the recent drivers installed (during the times where the screen does not go crazy and it seems relatively stable).

I'm trying to avoid doing a recovery process where I lose the installed apps and/or calling Dell.

Can someone help?

6 Posts

May 21st, 2015 06:00

Anyone? Please?

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 23:00

Did you ever find a solution?  I just got the computer last week and this happens whenever I start Photoshop.  It recovers, but it takes a minute.

I really like the computer and this is really the only major issue I have.

1 Attachment

6 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 02:00

Hi Amandagal,

Unfortunately after spending sometime trying to install and reinstall both windows and drivers, etc the only thing that solved it was calling Dell Support, activating the warranty and having them replace the motherboard. My issue was more serious though, since it happenned all the time, not just when running games or programs. Try calling them and see if they can help. Cheers

No Events found!