Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

January 21st, 2009 11:00

Display and Bootup Issues with an XPS M1710 using an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX video card.

I recently downloaded and installed Company Of Heroes onto my XPS, and while I was playing the video froze up. The audio kept going, but the screen was now showing numerous blocks of reddened pixels, and my mouse was unresponsive. After manually shutting down my computer, I was horrified to see that the pixel distortion stayed, in the form of horizontal and vertical bands on my screen. Additionally, my computer, running Windows XP Professional, was now telling me that there were no bootable devices. I pressed F1 to retry the boot and it proceeded with the boot-up process. I've had to do this every subsequent time I've turned on my computer. Additionally, when the monitor is supposed to show the login screen, instead there are alternating horizontal bands of black and white pixels, and I can't log in. After (again) manually turning off the computer, I'm forced to start it up again in safe mode. This too, I've had to do every subsequent time I've turned on my computer and tried to start it normally.

I ran a System Assessment test to see if there was an issue with my hardware, but nothing came up. I believe, therefore, that the issue lies with my software. I set my computer to a system restore point about a week ago, but the problem remained. I contacted Dell Tech Support about this issue, and after a session where they took control of my computer and uninstalled and reinstalled my NVIDIA Driver, I was now able to log on to my computer normally, without having to go into Safe Mode. Except whereas I had previously enjoyed a 1900 x 1200 resolution with 32-bit color, now I can't go beyond 1600 x 1200 with 16-bit. Additionally, when I try to calm myself down with some music, my iTunes tells me that there's a problem with my audio/video sync. This works for browser-based audio/video as well. Finally, after turning off my computer, the problem just came back with a vengeance. I am currently in Safe Mode, in 1600 x 1200 resolution wih 16-bit color. If anybody has any idea about what might be going on with my computer, and how I can fix it, I would appreciate any help.

3.6K Posts

January 21st, 2009 15:00

Are you using driver version 174.31?...

3 Posts

January 21st, 2009 15:00

Driver Version: 6.14.11.7431, so yes, I think so.

3.6K Posts

January 21st, 2009 16:00

It sounds like the video card has caused artifacts to display on the screen and this is usually a sign that the card needs to be replaced.But since it passed all the tests(I am assuming you ran the extended diagnostic tests on the video card)and not just the short test.If you have not run the extended tests>run the diagnostics again,let the first set of tests run and finish>now select extended test when they finish>Symptom Tree>Video.When this finishes post back with any errors.

3.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 19:00

I had a feeling you would get error codes,and unfortunatly,the card will need to be replaced.As i was afraid of in my first post,the artifacting you mentioned is confirmed.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 19:00

I ran the extended video diagnostic tests, and in fact, numerous errors came up. There were three categories, each coded specifially. 4E53:0119, 4E53:0921, and 4E53:0B21.

1 Message

April 10th, 2009 07:00

Hey,

I got the same problem with my display, bout the forth time it has happened. Only difference when it happened before I was under warranty so Dell just sent someone out to fix it each time usually by replacing the video card and sometimes the motherboard and lcd kit (or something like that). If I was to replace the video card will this not happen again in a few more months? Also how do I know what video card I need to get to replace it?

No Events found!