Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

October 26th, 2008 17:00

Display of Inspiron 1420 deems when I remove external power

Please help me. I got an Inspiron 1420 yesterday.

Laptop works fine when it is on AC supply. But when I remove the power and operate it on battery mode, display gets deem. I checked with windows vista setting, it is on high performance setting, i.e. at the same brightness for battery and plug-in mode. But not getting the same brightness on battery mode. What should I do?

Message Edited by super_nilesh on 10-26-2008 01:39 PM

940 Posts

October 26th, 2008 18:00

It is normal for the screen to dim when running on battery. I am not sure if the key stroke is the same as my 1720 but what I do is press and hold the FN key and then my up arrow brightens the screen and the down arror dims it. On other models the keys are tied to some of the F keys. Look for 2 keys that have a picture of the "sun" on them, use them with the FN key and you can change the brightness when you are on battery.

Here is a LINK to the info within the User manual.

Message Edited by dcgtls on 10-26-2008 12:11 PM

October 27th, 2008 03:00

Hey, Thanks for your reply.

But I have tried adjusting brightness with this key Fn+up on battery mode. Brightness increases, but it never matches with the brightness while on the AC power mode. I have seen one more Inspiron 1420, but that works fine. Problem is with my machine or settings. What to do?

December 4th, 2008 01:00

Hi, I have the same problem on my Inspiron 1420 with Vista and the standard intel video adapter

I can change the brightness using the Fn+up/down but the brightness never matches the brightness level when using power. This has only started to happen in the last few weeks (maybe after taking a dell recommended video card update???) and is really annoying! Did you find a solution? Is this a common problem?

1 Message

December 6th, 2008 22:00

I just bought an Inspiron 1410 yesterday, and I have exactly the same problem as you guys have. Have tried many advance setting but still can't resolve the problem, I have to contact their technical support for on site service. Dell quality control has to improve.

1 Message

December 10th, 2008 08:00

I just purchased 1420 on 12/7/08 and had the same problem with screen brightness when power unplugged, as mention in earlier post. Since I have other Dell laptops , I knew this was uncommon. The fix I found was adjusting the video brightness in the BIOS at boot-up. To do this: Press and hold F2 while pressing "power on" button. You will see Bios blue screen with "systems info". Use arrow down key till you get to" video", then press "enter". Arrow down again to "brightness" (without AC). My 1420 was set at 3. I adjusted with arrow key to maximum of 10. Then press "enter". Read instructions at bottom of screen and "press Esc to exit setup". Then arrow to "exit" (is highlighted in green) and press enter. This solved my problem with screen staying dimmed when unplugged. I should also say that you can still modify screen birghtness in battery mode , by adjusting the display brightness in the "power settings". You should not have to go back into the BIOS again. Hope this helps.

1 Message

December 13th, 2008 18:00

Thank you so much for your help with this. I just got my Inspiron 1420 and had the same problem.  I followed your instructions and made the above changes in the BIOS and all is working now! Thanks!

2 Posts

December 14th, 2008 14:00

I have had my laptop for months and this problem has annoyed me for that long. Thank you so much for your reply; It helped me to finally solve the problem. I can see my laptop screen! I can see. LOL.:emotion-21:

1 Message

December 25th, 2008 18:00

You are my hero.  It worked like a charm!  Very easy and exactly what I needed to fix the problem.

1 Message

January 28th, 2009 18:00

You are the best!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post. You are not going to believe this story!!

I also purchsed a new inspiron 1420 for work 12-22-08.

Very soon I discovered the problem with the display when on battery power and could not adjust it with any of the available programs. I contacted Dell support and spent no less than a week fighting with them over the problem, when they determined that my hard drive was corrupt. They (technical support) could not adjust the brightness of the screen on battery power either. After another long battle they sent me a new computer.

Out of the box it also had the same dim screen on battery power! I was so discouraged, as I have to use this lap top on battery power for my work and there was absolutly no way to see the screen in battery mode.

As of today I have not only corrected the display problem on the "new" laptop, but also on the "corrupted" computer that is due to be returned.

Again thank you so much for your help!

1 Message

April 23rd, 2009 16:00

I was suffering for about six months having the same problem, only that my laptop dimmed when it was plugged in and it brightened when it was running on battery mode.  I never thought of finding a solution until now and lucky me your recommendation worked perfectly!  Thank you so much!  I'm so happy! :emotion-2:

1 Message

May 12th, 2009 08:00

I had to join this forum just to say I cant believe how easy of a fix this was. I have been battling this problem(flashing screen then dim screen)  since my computer was brand new. I have dealt with the flashing screen vs. a dim screen because I need to actually see the screen.  What the heck is wrong with dell that they couldn't figure this out. I guess they only assemble these things, not actually work on them to fix problems. Anyhow thanks again.

August 19th, 2009 22:00

Same issue with my 1420 for over a year - no setting changes fixed 1/2 power issue while on battery even with Brightness set @ 100%.

Fix was to go into BIOS by booting with F2 key down and getting Blue Screen. Scroll down to Video (return) then Brightness (without AC) (return) then key up using cursor from the preset level of 3 to a 10 (return) then esc, Dont for get to hit save and exit button.

That should get you so you can finally use your laptop on battery and SEE IT TOO!

1 Message

December 7th, 2009 15:00

Add me to the growing list of users who were frustrated with this issue for far too long. Finally, after a year of searching and troubleshooting, this BIOS suggestion finally came up in a Google search and whattdya know? Problem solved. Thank you!!! I'm no longer stuck wondering to myself what the point of having a laptop is if I can't unplug it from the AC adapter. And I'll never have to read someone suggest the Fn + up arrow combo and want to smack them silly for stating the obvious.

Dear Dell: Why is this NOT listed in the Help menu under Power Settings??? Had I not stumbled across this solution, I would have NEVER purchased another Dell again, which would have been a shame because I love everything else about this laptop. Shame on you!

1 Message

December 26th, 2010 11:00

Dec-26-2010

Thank you for this info.  I have been fighting this for the better part of a year.  Finally came upon this forum and you were spot on the problem.  Dell, of course, had no clue.  Thanks again.  Leo    Newport, OR.

December 26th, 2010 12:00

Merry Christmas,,,, so glad my solution made your day.

Hey Dell are you out there? This solution was posted almost 18 months ago and you still haven't published your fix yet!!!

Tom - Milford, NJ

No Events found!