Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2011 14:00

Displayport to HDMI audio problem

Dear Support Team,

I have got an E6410 with a DP > HDMI converter. The video part is working fine on the TV but the audio does not work at all (is still remain on laptop).

I have downloaded and installed the latest software and drivers form  dell.com for this type of laptop but the problem is still the same .

I have  the latest  Graphics Driver for the Intel HD Video card from Dell Support Center.

Do you have any Idea ?

Displayport on E6410 doesn't support audio transmition?

Regards

Jorge

2 Posts

June 15th, 2011 10:00

Please, any idea?

3.8K Posts

June 16th, 2011 14:00

Hi Colinense,

Welcome to the Community. Disconnect all your the cables and reconfigure the connection using your TV. You have an option on your TV to set to HDMI. Not an issue with the computer, as you are able to get video.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

July 5th, 2011 13:00

I'm having the same problem on an E6510.   Dell support says audio is not supported but I read of others that are able to make it work.  Did you get a resolution to your problem?

Thanks,

Bill

3 Posts

August 1st, 2011 06:00

I have found a solution for Linux.

1. Put in alsa.conf  or your another module config file (depends on distribution) following line:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-2

2. Reload alsa service (or reboot).

3. Unmute IEC958 in alsamixer

4. Enjoy :)

It worked for me immediately and other people. Source of solution is Gentoo WiKi part related to Dell Latitude E6x00 laptops: en.gentoo-wiki.com/.../Dell_Latitude_E6x00

2 Posts

October 13th, 2011 14:00

But does the DisplayPort carry 1) audio and video, or 2) only video?

1 Message

December 8th, 2011 18:00

Go to control > Sound. Open the Sound Control Panel then select Playback tab, and choose your TV as the default device. Once you done this, the sound will be sent to your TV. I am using Windows 7 on Dell E6410, and it works for me. I assume it will work on Windows Vista as well.

Lenny

June 18th, 2012 14:00

I'm also using Windows 7 64bit on an E6410 and I'm having trouble with the audio.

About a year ago everything was just fine, both the video and the sound were carried over through the hdmi to the tv, but now I can't make it work. I've tried reinstalling an older version of the Intel GMA HD driver, reinstalling the IDT HD Audio driver, no success... :-(

The video is fine, but sadly no audio goes through the displayport/hdmi cable. There's even no Displayport/HDMI sound device showing up on the playback devices list in the control panel even with the Show disabled/disconnected devices options turned on...

Does anyone know a solution, I would highly appreciate if you would share it with me!

2 Posts

June 18th, 2012 15:00

It has been almost a year since I resolved this problem on my E6510 and I'm a little hazy on it at the moment, but I believe I downloaded and installed the file 275.33-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe from NVIDIA.  This is a back level set of drivers but it did the job for me.  It contains both audio and video drivers.

Bill

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 18th, 2012 16:00

A couple of tips from the HDMI Audio FAQ.

en.community.dell.com/.../19333633.aspx

> A few people with Intel graphics had better results by uninstalling the graphics driver, rebooting, and letting Windows look for a driver (instead of downloading the driver from the Dell support site).

> Look in the Device Manager and if you see "Audio device on high definition audio bus" with an exclamation mark, you need to update it. Right click on it and point the updater to the HDMI sub-folder in the Intel graphics card folder. The path will vary depending on the name of your graphics driver but should be something like:

C:\dell\drivers\R******\HDMI

The folder named R****** is either R307994 or R296701 depending on which version of the Intel driver you have installed.

June 18th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for sharing your solution. Unfortunately I don't have discrete graphics in mine, only the built-in Intel solution, so the Nvidia drivers won't help, I think...

June 20th, 2012 03:00

Thanks for the FAQ.

I've tried some of the listed tips (and even those suggested by you), but in my case none of them helped.

I've even downloaded the newest video driver pack from Intel's site. I did not install it completely (not yet), just extracted the Intel Display Audio driver from it, and updated the system with this version, no success.

I've updated a few other unrelated drivers/utils from Dell, installed the newest BIOS, but unfortunately I still face the same situation like a few days ago.

Possibly a full OS reinstall could help, but that is not a viable solution for now...

It's weird that after uninstalling the Intel's driver and letting Windows use the built-in Microsoft driver, two(!) HDMI audio devices showed up on the playback devices list, but none of them worked (they did not detect the connection, they were showing disconnected all the time). Installing the Intel's drivers the playback devices list cleared up again, showing no Displayport/HDMI devices...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 20th, 2012 05:00

Have you tried a different cable?

June 21st, 2012 15:00

Yes, I just did it. Still nothing.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2013 15:00

I also have had problems with my E6400. I have the IDT sound card and the Invidia video card.  The 'expert' suggestion doesn't apply as I do not have the Intel graphics. I have found that the 'latest' Dell drivers do not support correctly. I rolled back the IDT driver to the 2006 version and everything works again. Do not try to use the 2010 version if you want the HDMI to appear in the choices and/or to work!

1 Message

April 14th, 2014 19:00

Just figured it out. I am running a 6410 with Intel Graphics card - super cheap ebay chinese display port to hdmi converter. Video comes up fine, and to get audio i went to sound in control panel - my TV actually comes up in it - and i disabled the other speakers. AND sound thru the tv!

No Events found!