enetilah
1 Copper

Dissapointed: Dell's warranty parts are refurbished

I am dissapointed abut Dell's warranty service. I bought an xps1530, and have full warranty til August'09. Dell'had to change twice the motherboard and I noticed that the parts are refurbihed. If the first replacement lasted a few months, how long will the second? I'm not sure that the replacement of the originally motherboard of my new xps was wright, it seems that it was in better conditions than the one they used to replace that; this second motherboard was changed by another one that seems to be in similar conditions.

When I asked a supervisor to change this parts for new ones he told me that it was impossible, they use refurbished for replacements.

Dell should inform this to theirs buyers, it's not fair to buy a new notebook that has quality problems and  the seller (Dell') is thinking not in the best solution for the customer but in the best solution in terms of money only.

E.Montero

20 Replies
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Re: Dissapointed: Dell's warranty parts are refurbished

If you read the warranty statement, they DO tell you that they use refurbished parts - so too does every other computer vendor.  Read the terms of your washing machine or car warranty -- same deal there as well.  It's standard practice in just about every industry.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=012

0 Kudos
hakemon
1 Nickel

Almost every warranty repair uses refurbished parts.  I work in desktop warranty repair, and it's refurbished.  But I can garantee you they are tested to the extent they can, vs the ammount of others computers that come in for repair.

It's in the fine print that no one bothers to read, or a salesman lies about (as I personally entountered).  😉

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Texas has INVENTORY TAX on all items that are "new" So every part that comes out is "Refirbished"

Sec. 23.12 (a) of the Texas State Property Tax Code states that the market value or assessed value of inventory “is the price for which it would sell as a unit to a purchaser who would continue the business.”  The Tax is every year.

Items that are refurbished lose status as real property to be inventoried and taxed.

They aren't trying to cheat anyone.

Texas Tax Code Section 151.101 imposes use tax on the storage, use or other consumption of a taxable item, including tangible personal property, purchased for storage, use or other consumption in Texas. Tax Code Section 151.104 provides that a sale of a taxable item for Texas delivery is presumed to be a sale for the storage, use or other consumption of the taxable item in Texas. Further, Tax Code Section 151.102 imposes liability for the use tax on the person storing, using or consuming the taxable item.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
MarkBarton73
1 Copper

I am very angry that 9 months after having spent my hard saved cash on a fairly high spec 'Brand New' Vostro 410 with upgrades etc the Monitor back light packed up...I am from the UK and so expect UK rights of replacement as new...instead I took delivery of a refurbished old dusty monitor covered in finger prints over the screen and case....

This is VERY POOR SERVICE IMO....what happened to my consumer rights? how long will it last before this old used monitor packs up? It must be a Dell Con to get people to buy extended warranties as Dell cannot guarantee any of its kit to last 12 months let alone years....perhaps I should have bought a £300PC and threw it away every year rather than a better more expensive PC which I would have expected to last longer without faults or at least to have monitor replaced with new monitor.

By comparison, I did not buy a new car to expect it to just last a year and if the car had a fault such as a engine noise the garage would not replace it with an old worn out but working engine rather than a brand new one with lots of life left to run...same thing applies....it does not matter one jot about small print....I have bought about 20 Dell PC's for home/work and this has opened my eyes and will make me think twice about parting with my hard earned cash to Dell again....

Buyers beware!!

0 Kudos
LGLDSR73
1 Nickel

E. Montero,

I would not let the use of refurbished components concern you. I have been in Network Administration for 26 years and to that end I have deployed thousands of systems and Servers. It has been my experience that regardless if it is a Desktop by Dell, HP, etc., or a $30,000 Datacenter-Class Server I have found it not uncommon for the manufacturer - whomever it may be - to use refurbished components for repair.

As long as the component is warranteed does it really matter?

Certainly not worth losing any sleep over.  emoticon.Smile.title

LGLDSR

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

"By comparison, I did not buy a new car to expect it to just last a year and if the car had a fault such as a engine noise the garage would not replace it with an old worn out but working engine rather than a brand new one with lots of life left to run...same thing applies....it does not matter one jot about small print....I have bought about 20 Dell PC's for home/work and this has opened my eyes and will make me think twice about parting with my hard earned cash to Dell again...."

If this is your criterion for computer purchases, you'll never buy another computer again - because ALL manufacturers use refurbished or "like new" replacement parts.

For that matter, if your car's engine fails, the manufacturer CAN and often WILL install a rebult engine  -- NOT a new one, so you'd never buy a new car, either.

0 Kudos
LGLDSR73
1 Nickel

Re the engine analogy...well put. It is at their sole discretion.

0 Kudos
kayakee
1 Copper

In my situation, the XPS9000 is brand new and I got a noisy fan for the ATI Radeon 8570 graphic card. I called DELL the next I received the system and I got a refurbished replacement which have the same problem.

If the system is brand new, I expect to receive a brand new one.

I'm currently thinking to return the system. Fortunately I'm in my 30 days period.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The return period is 21 days from shipment - not 30.  If you are within that time, you can return the system for a new, not refurbished, replacement.

0 Kudos