kayakee
1 Nickel

Re: Dissapointed: Dell's warranty parts are refurbished

Thank you to let me known about it.

I'm not sure about the law in Canada and especially in Quebec province because we have a consumer protection.

Anyway  what a stupid solution from Dell. It will cost more to them to get a new one and I will have to wait one months again. And this is not a guarantee that the new one will be ok.

As a customer, I'm very disapointed.

0 Kudos
JAJAAnya
1 Copper

Well I can understand refurbished parts but also when You pay a premium warranty they should atleast make sure the parts will work tested yes but in anything refurbished is not a true use line in a months time for instance one hard drive, two graphic cards,one mother board and two fans still next is another mother board and a power unit so all in all is it better to sell no waranty and just make them throw away?  I am sure all are trying to do a good job and YES it is frustrating and would I reccommend that we buy more dells? well would any other company do different?  So it is a case of I have a warranty now parts are being replaced that last less than a month so do i toss it and just buy a new PC and chalk it up to experience and not ever take a warranty again? but LOL was funny first support tried to sell me a warranty then shoved me off I figure was a coffee break coming on 🙂 Life is Life and regardless are some good ones trying to help in that barrel of apples it is just when You get a rotten one with a worm You want to Scream..........................

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

You're out of luck if you want a notebook where new parts will be used for repair in case of failure - ALL manufacturers use refurbished repair parts.  If you build your own desktop, even then if you have to ship a mainboard for replacement, the replacement part will more than likely be refurbished.

As for notebook vendors, there are some with better reputations than Dell, and others with much worse reputations - Dell is about even with Apple as far as hardware reliability - better than most, not as good as a couple of others.

HP is the largest seller of notebooks and by far the worst when it comes to reliability, service and support.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Therein lies the answer.  $799 in 1976 translates to $3,109 today -- see

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Even accounting for improvements in hardware, that differential means you get less support today than in 1976 - basically, in 2010 the price of a new computer is lower up front than it was in 1976, dollar for dollar.  You pay for the differential in inflated dollars in the fact that in owning a computer, the hardware is just the beginning of the cost.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I must say I never thought that refurbished parts are used in repairs of laptops.

What does worry me is how they get these refurbished parts. It must mean part taken out of a faulty computer and repaired. How do you repair HD with some internal fault? How do you repair main board which had failed? Some soldering, replacing some capacitors, or other elements? What is the guarantee that fault was corrected?

As far as car repairs is concerned, when some part, like spring, shock absorber or similar break down it is certainly replaced by the new ones? At least by a good car dealer. And yes, if they use refurbished or not original parts, then they offer you these parts at reduced price. And you have a choice of getting cheap, replacement part from China or Japan or original, new one.

For me a computer is a personal thing. I threat it well, and when it breaks down it is a bit like your favourite pet that got sick. That why replacing parts with ones coming from others computers, maybe treated badly (some posts about dirty and physically damaged replacement screens) sounds bad to me.

Well, looks like not much we can do about it. Maybe convert ourselves to cheap, through away computers.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Repair parts can come from spare stock (be new) or from returned computers - they should be tested for functionality before they're shipped. 

Car manufacturers can and do use rebuilt/refurbished parts for warranty repair - if your Chevy or Honda has a cracked engine block under warranty, you will get a rebuilt engine as a replacement.  If your alternator fails, the warranty repair will be done with a rebuilt part.  Dealers generally use only OEM parts - not third party though.  Where the part comes from is another matter - at one point GM was putting NEW engines from China into the Chevy Equinox it builds in Canada.  And the massive heated-wiper recall was over a NEW Chinese-made part - so country of origin is now meaningless.  There are plenty of "American" Ford and GM products with far more foreign content than many "import" Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas, etc.

Effectively, notebooks are becoming throwaways.  With average prices hovering around $700 and major components like mainboards or screens costing 30-50% of that before labor, in case of a major component failure, the systems are now a write-off.

0 Kudos
Szczepan
6 Indium

RE: Dissapointed: Dell's warranty parts are refurbished

heh, yesterday i got intervention from Dell onsite support and after technician replaced main board for a new (refurbished) one PC does not boot anymore. 7 beeps and black screen !!! that's how they check the parts ..

0 Kudos
charleyono
1 Copper

It does indeed matter when, in my case there's a recurring problem and Dell has replaced the Motherboard & Power Supply. In addition, the Graphics Card has been replaced three times!! I now have a nearly all refurbished (initially very expensive) unit! ...and the issue on on-going!

Had I realized that my repairs would have involved refurbished parts, I never would have purchased an extended warranty. I would have spent the money to repair the unit with new parts.

I now have a nearly all Refurbished unit after spending premium dollars to purchase a high end machine.

Dell wouldn't allow the warranty replacement (of the troublesome part) to a new, more costly, upgraded part; even though I offered to pay the difference in cost.

Very disappointed, disillusioned & disgusted. I will never purchase another Dell product.  And yes, I have lost sleep over it!

Buyer beware and shame on you Dell!

8 Krypton

As this thread is over 6 years old can we get it locked?  If this issue persists we can start a new one.  

0 Kudos
phillipsortino
1 Nickel

I am livid over this.They tell me after 30 days you get refurbished parts. I've had two refurbished screens on my inspiron 7737 that's a year and a half old. I've had 3 screens altogether and now they broke my keyboard trying to replace the screen.I am so *** mad.And they don't care.Now the techs are telling me they are putting in new screens.I am at a loss because none of these people at dell care. I've been a customer for 18 years and this is the treatment you get. I am probably going to have to buy a new laptop because they have made a mess of mine.I will assure you of one thing the next laptop will not be a dell.Dell and their lousy service can go straight to ***.I spent $1200 plus and this is how they treat you.I tried to send an email to michael dell and all I got was a connection to india from some guy named Rajeev who was just down right nasty. Eventually this kind of treatment will catch up to dell and I hope I am around to witness dell go out of business. because dell's quality on all fronts continues to decline.

0 Kudos