Highlighted
JaksaMaric
1 Copper

Distorted audio on XPS 13

Hi,

I've been experiencing this issue ever since I received my XPS 13. It was rarely happening at first, but lately I've been hearing it more and more while watching youtube or listening to music. It is really getting annoying, to the point that I can't even listen to music on my laptop. If I try to use headphones it doesn't help either. I've had this laptop since September 30th of this year.

I've recorded this issue on my cell phone and posted it on the following link:

Can this possibly be fixed with a driver update or is it the hardware that's not functioning properly?

Please help!

Thanks,
Jack

32 Replies
anamnesis
1 Copper

RE: Distorted audio on XPS 13

Yeah I experienced the exact same problem multiple times. The only temporary way to fix it is to close the program. Could someone else shed some light on this?

Hi 

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest that both of you with similar issues ,kindly update the drivers to the latest .

Kindly also check that does this happen only when you play live streaming videos ,also check if this issue occurs when you use external speakers or headphone.

Check under device manager if the audio drivers have a yellow marking on them .

Kindly private message the service tag to the system.

Thanks

Robin 

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
superdude77
1 Nickel

If you go in to control panel and go to Dell audio and turn MAXXAUDIO off is it any better? I find the speakers sometimes crackle slightly with it turned on. 

Suki69
1 Copper

I have exactly the same problem. Changing settings for Maxxaudio does not help.

distortedsound
1 Copper

I have exactly the same problem on a 2015 XPS 13, good idea recording it.

I have updated the drivers already and the problem still comes and goes on its own, really annoying. Any help, Dell?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Does it make any difference to anyone if the volume is controlled from another source.  Such as, turn down the volume on the computer and increase it on You Tube or whatever is playing the sound?

When I use Netflix I can sometimes stop the playback, back it up, and start it again and it clears up, but I don't have an XPS 13..  The 17 seems to work OK so far.

You might watch the CPU utilization in Task Manger or the Resource Monitor to see if there is any correlation with it and the sound.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
distortedsound
1 Copper

No, that doesn't make a difference for me

0 Kudos
VickMcK
1 Copper

I have the same issue. It occurs when I've had my laptop on for about 8 hours.

I don't use headphones or speakers so its purely happening from the internal speakers.  It gets worse and worse over time, until you reboot, so must be a software problem?  I've updated my drivers repeatedly and ran all the dell updates when prompted.

A reboot works, but it's really not ideal.  I've been looking for an answer for this for some time, its disappointing for such a high quality laptop and when I come to replace the laptop, I will have to look elsewhere unfortunately.

0 Kudos
PinoGiacalone
1 Copper

Same issue here. It appear randomly with the speaker or with the headphones, and it disappear if I pause the video for 10-20 seconds. Sometimes it happens often sometimes not, for instance I managed to see an entire episode of Daredevil on Netflix.

I have the latest driver and the latest BIOS, I would like to try the default Windows 10 driver because seems that the issue does not appear, but I used it only for a small amount of time because I need the headphones and they don't work with the basic Windows' driver.

Can someone help us?

Sorry for my bad english.

0 Kudos