Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

33 Posts

January 12th, 2009 04:00

Docking station compatibility with dual DVI monitors

Does anyone know if the Advanced E-port docking station for the Latitude E6400/E6500 supports dual DVI 22" widescreen monitors being used in extended mode ?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this but I find the new forum format impossible to search.  Any tips on how to narrow down searches would be gratefully received.

1 Message

January 14th, 2009 17:00

I have multiple users using dual DVI monitors and the docking station. At this time, I have only been able to get them up and running using one as a DVI monitor and the other as VGA.

Another post says to connect both to the DVI output, then manually configure the monitors to the DVI input using the monitors menu system. (Not the "Auto Detect" ), then with both monitors powered up, dock the laptop. I am trying this tomorrow.

Once the dual monitors are up and running, open the windows Display properties, select the NVIDIA tab, go to the NVIDIA console and setup your configuration as desired. Exit the console, then the Windows Display properties, and it should hold the configuration.

1 Message

April 1st, 2009 03:00

hello, 

It appears that the second DVI monitor won't activate until you closed the lid of the laptop (pay attention by default the laptop will go standby if you close the lid)

So, disable the standby linked to the lid closing

activate the  first external dvi monitor from the laptop using extended desktop then close de lid of the laptop.

From the working external monitor, activate again the extended desktop onto the second external monitor !

It's working on latitude 6500 with intel grafic chipset and nvidia grafic chipset..

It's possible  that there is an easier way: plug de lattitude onto the dockstation lid closed and power de laptop with the power button on the dockstation i bet it will probably work too.

Greetings form Belgium 

Cartonman

June 6th, 2011 09:00

This solution does not work for my e6420.  my e6420 does not even recognize the dual dvi external monitors on my docking station.  Anyone have a idea how to get these external monitors to work?

June 6th, 2011 13:00

The dock you have does not support duallink DVI plugs.  The best way to connect a duallink DVI monitor to your dock would be by using a DisplayPort to Duallink DVI adapter.  I have tested these and they work.

June 6th, 2011 14:00

I am using the dock model PR02x, it does have to dual dvi and dual DP ports on the dock.  I have tried to using both the dvi ports and the DP ports.  Neither are successful.

1 Message

August 9th, 2011 08:00

I have the same issue and would like to have an answer.

thanx

August 12th, 2011 00:00

i have the same issue, but the display port and dvi outputs have problems with Optimius on the new sandy bridge chipsets from intel.

you can find the problems here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19385401.aspx

November 15th, 2011 17:00

I have tried to connect my M4600 with two U3011 (*) via the DVI connections on the E Port Plus replicator via two (BizLink) active DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapters. The U3011 reaches it native resolution of 2560 x 1600 but it only results in distorted image on one screen and flickering on the other. In the latter case the screen just blanks for 3 to 4 seconds every 30 seconds or so.

It's about time Dell introduces two dual link DVI plugs on the E Port Plus replicator. Alternatively Dell should consider two DisplayPort inputs on the monitors.

(*) The DisplayPort input on these screens are taken up by another Precision laptop also docked in an E Port Plus replicator, without any problems.

1 Message

January 10th, 2012 07:00

Get the laptop booted up then go right click on the Desktop, Choose Nvidia Display settings. Once in the NVidia control panel you will find a couple of areas that by default Automatically chooses which video card to use. You will probably see two "Intel" and "NVidia Card #". Select the "NVIdia" video card so the laptop will always use that video card instead of the Intel video chip.

When booting up from docking station you will not see post screen. If you ever need to get into the Bios or Boot screen just boot the laptop off the docking station.

January 31st, 2012 01:00

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I cannot find any (sub)menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel where I can see or change the video card not do I see any menu referring to the Intel video chip.

Hope you can be more specific.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2012 05:00

There is a bios setting to enable the laptop screen and two monitors using hte dock. Note the bios setting is automatically turned off if you installed XP.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2012 05:00

I forgot to tell you what setting Optimus in BIOS  under video

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 14:00

This setting is not in my BIOS  Optimus is not listed anywhere in my BIOS.  I have the latest BIOS from Dell.

1 Message

November 5th, 2014 13:00

Isn't it wonderful how DELL cannot provide answers to what appears to be a huge problem with most users who want to use the Dell monitors, Dell PRO 2Xdocking station, Dell laptop.

I WAS able to use both monitors, but then I updated BIOS and Windows on my Latitude E7440.

I have spent over 8 hours searching for an answer from Dell and Anywhere and still am not able to use both monitors.  I can now only use one DVI-D connected monitor.  Ridiculous.

Can we get an answer Please, Dell???

1 Message

June 25th, 2015 00:00

hi guys, 

i know these posts are abit old but i seem to have run into this problems now.

has anyone found any solutions to the port replicator not displaying on to both external monitors using DVI port (which was working fine previously)?

thanks in advance.

No Events found!