8 Krypton

Does Dell Latitude E6420 Supports Over 8GB of RAM in Practice?

Jump to solution

Good day to owners of Dell Latitude E6420! Did any of you try in practice to install over 8GB of RAM in your laptop to see if it is capable of working with over its maximum size which is 8GB? I ask because in my previous HP laptop manual stated that it supports up to 2GB of RAM though there were owners (of which I am also) who installed over laptop's maximum officially stated capacity with no problems. Thats' why I thought it won't hurt to ask here.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SyndromeSS
1 Nickel

Re: Does Dell Latitude E6420 Supports Over 8GB of RAM in Practice?

Jump to solution

I've got two 8GB in mine. Making 16GB total.

Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply @Syndormess

The 'official Dell' Specs stated that the amount of Ram is limited to 8GB.

However Intel's Sandy Bridge is capable of handling 32GB: (From Intel's website)

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)
32 GB
Memory Types
DDR3-1066/1333/1600

Source: http://ark.intel.com/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

It made sense when most people were using 32bit Windows to specify the RAM at 4GB as that was all it could handle. The 4GB upper limit did not need to change.

Now that most users have gravitated  towards 64bit operating systems, which has a theoretical max of 192GB, this becomes an issue that needs constant updating,

Perhaps the Dell lab coat guys could provide us with definitive guidance as to the exact specification of 2 x 8GB sims or 2 x 16GB sims ((DDR3-1066/1333/1600) ) that the E6420 and the E series can handle, and what changes to software are needed, eg. BIOS etc.

THANKS

rkodey
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I'm running 16GB successfully:

E6420, BIOS A17

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz

16342 MBytes

PC3-12800J (800 MHz)

Corsair CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10

BIOS sees them running at 1600Mhz, which was a surprise.  memtest ran successfully, and so far it's working very well.

31 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Boris_yo,

Latitude E6420 system is capable of supporting upto 8GB of RAMs. You can try installing over 8GB however Dell’s Product group has tested upto 8GB with this system model.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thank you for your correspondence Appu S.

Anyone else tried installing over 8GB of RAM?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

Slots: 2

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.

Recommended Upgrade

part image

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

@SpeedStep Did you try yourself putting more than 8GB or you just quoting technical specifications?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Has anyone tried this or can Dell indicate whether more than 8GB of RAM can be used on Latitude E6420?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Can a 16GB kit (8GBx2)  be used?

www.crucial.com/.../partspecs.aspx

0 Kudos
SyndromeSS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I've got two 8GB in mine. Making 16GB total.

Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply @Syndormess

The 'official Dell' Specs stated that the amount of Ram is limited to 8GB.

However Intel's Sandy Bridge is capable of handling 32GB: (From Intel's website)

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)
32 GB
Memory Types
DDR3-1066/1333/1600

Source: http://ark.intel.com/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

It made sense when most people were using 32bit Windows to specify the RAM at 4GB as that was all it could handle. The 4GB upper limit did not need to change.

Now that most users have gravitated  towards 64bit operating systems, which has a theoretical max of 192GB, this becomes an issue that needs constant updating,

Perhaps the Dell lab coat guys could provide us with definitive guidance as to the exact specification of 2 x 8GB sims or 2 x 16GB sims ((DDR3-1066/1333/1600) ) that the E6420 and the E series can handle, and what changes to software are needed, eg. BIOS etc.

THANKS

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Check this forum post because he succeeded making 16GB work with his E6420 but keep in mind that he might have different configuration of components in his laptop.

0 Kudos