Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 6th, 2016 06:00

Does Gaming damage the CPU?

Hello,

I have a DELL Inspiron 15z for 2 years now.

I wanted to play PS2 games using PCSX2 emulator so I can make full movies of the games and upload them to Youtube.

But when I run PCSX2 using Direct3D11 (Hardware), the temp of the CPU after some time reaches 81.

Is that OK and will not damage the CPU?

I have read about the i7-3537U CPU and it has a max temperature of 105.

I wanted to know what is the max temperature?

Does it mean that it is the number of temperature when the CPU hits, it will be damaged?

Again, I am using PCSX2 but while playing, when I notice the temp is above 80 or above 75, I exit the emulator and take some break for the CPU to cool down and then play again.

So is that OK as long as I don't let it reach the MAX?

Using ePSXe to play PS1 games also makes the CPU temp goes to 74 as well..

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2016 08:00

The CPU will throttle back long before it reaches 105 C, the max junction temperature for this model

For this CPU,

ark.intel.com/.../Intel-Core-i7-3537U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

253 Posts

August 6th, 2016 10:00

Thank you so much for the quick reply. :)

Again, I wanted to know what the max temperature is? I already know that it is 105 C.

So, the CPU will get damaged if it reached 105 C? or over 105 C?

And is what I am doing fine? That I play for some time and if it reached somewhat between 76-85 I quit the emulator and wait for it to cool down.

Will that way wont hurt the CPU?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2016 10:00

105 is the maximum T at the CPU, but the system will shut down long before that's reached.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2016 11:00

Even hitting 105C just once probably won't destroy the CPU any more than a single redline incident in your car will destroy the engine.  Doing so regularly is another matter.

The mainboard will suffer damage long before the CPU will.  You may want to look into getting an external cooling pad to help extract heat from the system - while 80 C isn't extraordinary, repeated thermal cycling isn't good for any of the internal components in the system.

253 Posts

I understand.

Unfortunately, I am in Egypt and it's too hot in here in Summer. Also, they don't sell these thermal cooling pads, they sell just<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>normal USB fans that even DO NOTHING.

But as soon as I exit PCSX2 emulator after playing when it reaches above 78 C. After a while, surprisingly the bottom of the laptop isn't too hot.

But still isn't it OK? and will not harm the CPU as long as I don't let it go to the max?

I play and exit the emulator and then take a break and then back to play again and so on....

253 Posts

Thanks.

But I am still a little confused.

What would happen if it reached 105 C? Damage the CPU? That's why the system shuts down before it?

So what I am doing will not hurt the CPU?

I don't let it go over 80. I only run PCSX2 for some time when I use (Hardware) settings because it makes some games faster and then exit the emulator for the CPU to cool down and take a break and then play again..

No Events found!