Highlighted
2 Bronze

Does Vostro 1015 supports for Windows 7 64 bit?

I am having Vostro 1015. I have 4GB RAM and 32 bit windows 7 ultimate. When I check my system, It is using only 2GB RAM. How I make my laptop to use all of 4GB RAM? One of my friend told me that if I install Windows 7 64 bit, It will use your 4GB RAM. But when I check dell site it is not showing me that it supports 64 bit. What should I do now?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Does Vostro 1015 supports for Windows 7 64 bit?

Hi dhwani2728,

Windows 7 32 bit operating system will detect and support 4 GB memory and it will display it according to its usage of the computer.

To check the memory usage of the system please click “Start” , type “msinfo32”  in the search box and check for “installed physical memory”, “total physical memory” and the “available physical memory” in the system and reply the usage .

Also please check if the 4Gb memory is detected in BIOS, to check in BIOS please restart the system by tapping F2 key at Dell logo, check the installed memory under system info tab and post the results.

I would like to know how many memory sticks are installed in the computer, is it 2x2Gb in two memory slot of the system or 1x4Gb memory in a single slot?

Please reply for further help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have chacked in msinfo32.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB,

Total Physical Memory 3.46 GB,

Available Physical Memory 1.63 GB.

I have 2x2GB in two memory slot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi dhwani2728,

Windows 7 32 bit operating system will detect and support 4 GB memory and it will display it according to its usage of the computer.

To check the memory usage of the system please click “Start” , type “msinfo32”  in the search box and check for “installed physical memory”, “total physical memory” and the “available physical memory” in the system and reply the usage .

Also please check if the 4Gb memory is detected in BIOS, to check in BIOS please restart the system by tapping F2 key at Dell logo, check the installed memory under system info tab and post the results.

I would like to know how many memory sticks are installed in the computer, is it 2x2Gb in two memory slot of the system or 1x4Gb memory in a single slot?

Please reply for further help.

I have chacked in msinfo32.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB,

Total Physical Memory 3.46 GB,

Available Physical Memory 1.63 GB.

I have 2x2GB in two memory slot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi dhwani2728,

Msinfo32 gives the complete information about the memory used in the system. The physical memory used by the system which is 3.46 GB which is allocated to the operating system of the system, Available physical memory is 1.63 GB.
This shows that the system is using the total memory installed in it.

Kindly reply for any further help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the reply. I just want to know will 64bit will improve my laptop's performance?

My Processor is: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi dhwani2728,

Yes, the performance of the computer will improve with Windows 7-64Bit operating system, but not all the programs and software that are compatible with 32-Bit operating system will not be compatible  with 64-Bit operating system, please check the compatibility of any software or programs before installing.

Please reply for any other inofrmation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

If you wish to install the 64 bit OS you will need to do so via A Clean Install. For best results follow my wiki Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

RE: Does Vostro 1015 supports for Windows 7 64 bit?

I have the almost same issue with the same Dell vostro 1015. But In my case  it only shwing 2gb. Even if I have installed the one more 2gb Ram.

installed physical memory : 2 Gb

total physical memory : 1.96 GB

Available physical memory : 1.02 GB

What should I do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Does Vostro 1015 supports for Windows 7 64 bit?

Your laptop may not be "seeing" the second stick of 2GB because the socket in which the RAM fits is not making good contact.  To clean the contacts first remove the battery, open the back so that you can see the socket for the RAM.  Remove RAM from both sockets. Get rubbing alcohol of high percentage alcohol, such as 90%.  Put a little alcohol on a thin piece of cloth and gently rub the cloth on the contacts of the RAM socket which was not being recognized.  You may have to use something small such as the tip of a small flat screw driver to make sure the cloth touches the contacts as it is a tight fit in the socket the RAM fits into.  Use a gentle hand, do not use heavy pressure nor have the cloth soaking with alcohol. (Do not use a paper towel or toilet paper which might leave paper residue behind.) Wait 10 minutes before you do anything else so that the alcohol evaporates completely.  If you do not wait long enough you may cause a short. Install the RAM, the battery, and turn the machine on.  If the problem was corrosion on the contacts in the RAM socket or dust then your laptop should now be able to "see" the new RAM.