Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2012 15:00

Does the Bios update also overwrite the ACPI (MALWARE Question)

Hello,

i have a question, when i update my DELL INSPERION 9400 with the latest BIOS A10, does this overwrite also the  ACPI Firmware stuff? After my understanding but im not sure ACPI Firmware is not on the Bios Chip.

Its very important to know this. (Cause im thinking i have malware in the ACPI / Bios). If you dont believe its possible (Google ---> Implementing and Detecting an ACPI BIOS Rootkit) (Its a PDF, also there are other PDF which capture only BIOS malware) But i have not the required knowledge to detect this.

I have a other question also, does DELL have, 

Firmware of other components which somebody can overwrite, I know that the BIOS  firmware could be modified (Whats with the NIC / WLAN / GFX or other components, are these components read only or also possible to overwritten).

Thank you for help.

10 Posts

May 4th, 2016 13:00

If you have Malware in Bios, flashing bios will not help, You can go to registry and see check Users, because these Malware adds more users  in the registry and clone you, set shadow copies of Microsoft windows with control sets, you may not notice the different. the only time you will notice is when it start permission denied.

or just see your connection, sometime you may find that you are connected through netbios which mean your computer is remotely control without your knowledge and shearing music, desktop, files, document, and so on. I just posted about "Bios Malware" I got Bios Malware, It came in through computrance, It is anti-theft, it activated it and lock it, can not be disable, all the 3 button is blur white.

You can check your how to reset Bios, press the power button, as the window is starting, keep tapping F2 several times it will open and locate it, reset it but if Malwere is there, it will not work.

No Events found!