Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2015 09:00

Does the Dell Docking station USB 3.0 (D3100) provide power to the laptop

My laptop is Latitude 7350, and I recently bought a Dell Docking station USB 3.0 (D3100), I followed the manual to connect my Laptop to the DS, but I was surprised to notice that my laptop isn't charging from the DS.

Is this normal in this kind DS?

I am used on the E types DS  which was providing the power to the laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 6th, 2015 01:00

Hi karadsheh,

Dell Docking station USB 3.0 (D3100) does not power the laptop as the E series docking stations does for the business latitude system.

1 Message

October 6th, 2015 09:00

That is ridiculous!!  If it's not providing power then it's not a docking station, it just adds more ports to a small computer that has virtually no ports on it.  So you pay more for a smaller laptop with fewer ports, then you pay more to add ports to it, and then you pay even MORE so you can have a power adapter for traveling.  Thieves...

1 Message

December 3rd, 2015 13:00

I have the same configuration. Does the D3100 power the monitor with the laptop lid closed?

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 19:00

From a Dell Latitude e7450 user, running Windows 7 Pro (don't even ask about Windows 10, I downgraded!)

Dell E-Port II:

1) You also fail to mention that the Dell Docking Station also does NOT recognize USB 3.0 capability for the Dell Latitude e7000 series,

2) The docking station itself, by design, disables the USB 3 ports on the laptop itself so that there is no USB 3 capability whatsoever.

3) The Dell Latitude series laptops sit outside the profile of the docking station, taking up unreasonable room on my desk, and the seating of the laptop on the station demands contortions every time I try to find the proper seating to connect it.

4) Often, the docking station firmware cannot understand my screen resolution, and I have to reboot in order for it to capture 1920x1080 resolution. This is elementary.

These are serious support problems that Dell has not addressed. I truly regret having purchased the two units I have.

No Events found!