Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 21st, 2012 08:00

Does the Latitude E6530 come with a BIOS option to disable Optimus?

I am on the lookout for a Dell laptop with an Nvidia card with a BIOS option to disable Optimus? I intend to install Linux in it.

None of the online tech experts or sales people I have interacted with have an idea about this.:emotion-9:

Can someone tell me whether the E6530 comes with a BIOS option to disable Optimus? And is this applicable worldwide ?

Thanks.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2012 20:00

Yes - I have an E6530 in front of me, and under Video there is a checkbox to enable or disable Optimus.

The description for this option is: 'This option enables or disables the NVIDIA Optimus Technology. It should be enabled for Windows 7 32/64-bit only. This feature is not applicable to other Os's.'

1 Message

September 9th, 2012 11:00

I got my e6530, running centos 6.3 on it (with the latest kernel 3.5.3 from elrepo) . First of all, I had to install the os on a different laptop, otherwise installation hangs. Second of all the hardware is a disaster. I'm having all kind of issues with nvidia. Even in the bios mode (F12 boot prompt) I'm having all kind of video corruptions, have to reboot multiple times, just to get rid of the video corruptions, and start booting linux. I always use F12->legacy boot, looks like gives better stability.  I'm using latest prop driver from nvidia 304.43, with the latest bios from dell. Generally the system is very unstable. If you still getting it, Make sure to comment out DPMS in xorg.conf.

I'm very disappointed with DELL...not linux friendly hardware at ALL!!!!

And yes, the only way to have gui, is to disable optimus in the bios settings ...

No Events found!