Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

Downloading drivers from dell takes FOREVER

We have a 50mbps fiber internet connection here at work (I'm in Pennsylvania, USA).  Every time I need to go to Dell's support site to download drivers, it takes forever.  I'm downloading a video driver for an E6500 Laptop now and it's been hovering around 70 - 90 KB/sec.  It's taking a half hour to download this driver, and that is actually a good speed for Dell! Other manufactures websites download over 2000 KB/sec and we get the files in seconds.

In fact another IT person here was downloading a dell wireless 1500 series driver for another laptop, and it was downloading around 9 KB/sec!  That's not much faster than a 56k modem!  It was taking over an hour!

We have 50mbps and other sites are fast, so it's not us!  Plus head over to the spiceworks forum... there's other complaints about this pathetic speed as well.  Dell, you need to take these complaints seriously and invest in a CDN to host your drivers.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

July 30th, 2013 11:00

I downloaded a newer Quadro driver from NVIDIA's website, which was larger, 199 MB.  Downloaded it at 2.4 MB/sec, copied it to file server, installed it on laptop, and rebooted laptop all quicker than downloading 89 GB video driver from Dell's site.

E6500 laptop works great in Windows 7 now.

Went to download the touchpad drivers, and for a 9.8 MB file it took 15 minutes from Dell.  

My point here is Dell's servers are horrendous.  Dell is a large company... a real big name... just like NVIDIA is.  Yet Dell's download speeds stink.  

Yeah it was a video driver I was originally downloading, but the speeds stink for any driver... not sure why they moved this post to the video thread.  I don't think they read the whole post.  I just want this fixed or were going to HP for future purchases.  I will contact our sales rep and see if we can get our Premiere site shut down.  Don't think we'll need it anymore.

1 Message

August 15th, 2013 16:00

I have the same bandwidth, it would be nice if I ever even got the download part. It has been 25 minutes and the system is still telling me that it is initializing the download.  So my download hasn't even started.  PISS POOR SERVICE...same as always.

No Events found!