Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2011 23:00

Driver Issue for Inspiron 600m

OK, the machine is old, but very functional. I've taken good care of it. A problem is, somehow, recently I "lost" the driver for the factory installed CD/RW. It is an NEC ND-6650A. Of course I can't find the original installation disks. Dell does not supply a driver for the component and neither does NEC. I've trolled the internet,  but as usual only find companies that want $$$ for "providing drivers".  Windows XP recognizes the component in the Device Manager, noted with a yellow exclamation point. I've burned many a CD and DVD using this machine throughout the years, and I'd hate to ditch an old, but fairly reliable machine if I can find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vin

8 Posts

August 21st, 2011 20:00

You are correct. The driver is native to WINXP. I re-seated the CD/DVD unit, as you suggested, and it was recognized, but Windows reported and "Error 39". Turns out, a third party software program corrupted the Windows driver. A little searching took me to the following:

support.microsoft.com/.../en-us

I ran the MS "FIX IT" application, lo and behold, problem solved.

Hope this might help others for future reference.

Thanks for your help!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 18th, 2011 14:00

You shouldn't need to install a driver for the CD/DVD drive. It should work native to XP. As an aside the firmware is here. Sometimes firmware updates break the drive however so if you installed it recently it may have broke the drive. I would advise against installing it.

Have you ran the diagnostics in the BIOs (hold F12 when powering up) and the PC check in Dell Support Centre?

Finally, first step I'd recommend is powering down you're system, getting a cross head screw driver and removing the CD/DVD drive. Instructions are here. I would then load windows without the drive. Give it a couple of minutes then power down. Reinsert the drive and power up again. See if it works.

No Events found!