Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2014 16:00

Driver Power Failure

I use a Dell Precision M6300 which had windows vista ultimate as the OS. I recently upgraded to windows 8.1. Not too long after the upgrade I started experiencing Driver Power State Failure. I have tried to update my drivers but it looks like Dell did not make provisions for updating its drivers to meet the needs of new operating systems. Does any one know how to get around this issue without having to revert to my vista ultimate. Dell Technical Support has not been too helpful

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 18th, 2014 19:00

In general, Dell does not continue supporting newer and newer (or older) software on their computers.  Their business computers usually have as broad a range of OS support as anyone could hope for from an OEM.

It does sound like a driver issue, but it is also possible that the hardware simply isn't compatible with the power demands of newer OS's.  You can usually find newer drivers directly from individual device manufacturers' websites, although some manufacturers may have discontinued support for devices or OS's as well.  There may be newer driver found on download pages of newer systems using the same hardware but designed for newer OS's.

If you are unable to find newer drivers that fix the issue, you may try changing the power settings of your computer - disable sleep, hibernation, and within individual devices (hard drive, network, etc.).

No Events found!