Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2013 17:00

Drivers for Inspiron 17-3721, Windows 8

Just got an Inspiron 17-3721, running Windows 8.  So far have been quite happy with it.   About drivers, my current understanding is that **ANY** new driver, for Windows 8, will be automatically downloaded to my computer (with auto Windows Update enabled), and I don't have to worry about a thing about it.

I knew Windows software updates are automatic, but didn't realize it applied to drivers as well.  Could Dell and/or anybody let me know if my understanding is correct or incorrect.  If correct, is it only for Windows 8 ?   Thanks.

3.3K Posts

April 12th, 2013 20:00

Hi M66,

Please refer the following links which has information about windows update:

http://bit.ly/159uxzM

http://bit.ly/172l8X1

Awaiting your response!

19 Posts

April 13th, 2013 20:00

Hi Dell-Rajesh R

Thanks for your response and the links - that helped.

I am running Windows 8, and have set to received Windows updates automatically, including drivers.  Since these drivers updates are going to come from Microsoft, why do we need drivers from Dell ?   There must be differences between drivers from Dell and from Microsoft.   Please explain.   Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 14th, 2013 04:00

Make sure you DO NOT set the system to download video updates other than from Dell - if you have switching graphics, doing so will cause all sorts of problems.

19 Posts

April 14th, 2013 14:00

Make sure you DO NOT set the system to download video updates other than from Dell - if you have switching graphics, doing so will cause all sorts of problems.

Hi ejn63

I haven't made any changes to the original graphics, which is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 in my case (Inspiron 17-3721).   In this case, do I always download updated graphics drivers from Dell ?

3.3K Posts

April 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi M66,

Windows Update helps keep your PC safer—and your software current—by fetching the latest security and feature updates from Microsoft via the Internet.

All drivers specific for your system will be alerted through Dell Support Center or  you can install directly from support site.

Awaiting your response!

19 Posts

April 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi Dell-Rajesh R

Thank you for you reply.   I was not asking why Windows updates were needed.  My questions were very specific -- let me repeat my post of Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM, quote :

"I am running Windows 8, and have set to receive Windows updates automatically, including drivers.  Since these drivers updates are going to come from Microsoft, why do we need drivers from Dell ?   There must be differences between drivers from Dell and from Microsoft.   Please explain.   Thank you."

So, again, I am already set to receive Windows drivers updates AUTOMATICALLY, as opposed to receive driver updates from Dell (I assume that is the case).  The setting was done, in Windows 8, as follow :

Control Panel > Devices and Printers > right click my computer, and choose Device Installation Settings > to enable automatic driver updates from Windows, click "Yes, do this automatically (recommended)".

The setting is to receive updated drivers from Microsoft Windows, so why do we need drivers from Dell ?  There must be some differences between the drivers from Windows and from Dell, and I was trying to ask you to explain the differences.   I can only assume there must be important differences but I don't know what they are, and as a Dell computer owner, I should know.

Need your very clear explanations about them.  Thank you again.

3.3K Posts

April 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi M66,

My apologies.

Windows Update is a service provided by Microsoft that provides updates for the Microsoft Windows operating system and its installed components(Software/applications), including Internet Explorer. An optional feature disables access to Windows Update and replaces it with access to Microsoft Update, an expanded version of the service which provides updates not just for the operating system and Internet Explorer, but also for other Microsoft software running under Windows, such as Microsoft Office, Windows Live applications, and Microsoft Expression Studio.

Dell Drivers updates are completely different from windows updates. As Dell drivers update should be manually done by using Dell support site and Dell support center. These are hardware specific drivers which need to be updated from Dell Support site.

Windows update is specifically for Software/applications, the update for the hardware is a generic driver’s update from Manufacturers website.

We recommend Dell OEM drivers update as they are tested and then released on the web.

Awaiting your response!

19 Posts

April 19th, 2013 23:00

Hi Dell-Rajesh R

Thank you again for your reply.

I am going to respond in-line to your reply, below, point by point.  My responses are inside square brackets >>

==================================================

Hi M66,
My apologies.
Windows Update is a service provided by Microsoft that provides updates for the Microsoft Windows operating system and its installed components(Software/applications), including Internet Explorer. An optional feature disables access to Windows Update and replaces it with access to Microsoft Update, an expanded version of the service which provides updates not just for the operating system and Internet Explorer, but also for other Microsoft software running under Windows, such as Microsoft Office, Windows Live applications, and Microsoft Expression Studio.
[ You made a distinction between Windows Update and Microsoft Update.  But when I look at what I have got in Windows 8 on my computer, I could only find "Windows Update", and I could not find anything called "Microsoft Update".
Can you please describe, step by step, how to enable "Microsoft Update" as oppose to "Windows Update".   I have automatic "Windows Update" enabled at this point.]
Dell Drivers updates are completely different from windows updates. As Dell drivers update should be manually done by using Dell support site and Dell support center. These are hardware specific drivers which need to be updated from Dell Support site.
[ Hardware specific as it is, but when you go to (Windows 8)
Control Panel>Devices and Printers>select and right click on the Device which is your computer>and click Device Installation Settings, you will get a panel called "Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?"
Select Yes.  With that, I assume whatever hardware specific drivers updates needed by my computer will be downloaded automatically from Windows.
Therefore my question is still, why do I need to do manual hardware specific drivers updates from Dell, when the updates are going to be automatically downloaded from Windows ?
Were you saying drivers from Dell are better than from Windows ? ]
Windows update is specifically for Software/applications, the update for the hardware is a generic driver’s update from Manufacturers website.

[ Not sure what you meant by "generic", as drivers are always hardware specific (and therefore cannot be generic).
Again, between drivers which are automatically downloaded from Windows, and those that, you said, need to be manually downloaded from Dell, what are the differences ????   A table of comparison between the 2 groups of drivers will be the best way to go.]

==================================================

3.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi M66,

Windows updates and Microsoft updates are one and the same. These have to be set to 'Automatic update'. Dell driver updates are specific to the hardware installed on  the system and Microsoft/Windows updates are specfic to the operating system installed ie Windows 8 in this case.

Dell driver updates are alerted to you by Dell Support Center as and when available. However Microsoft/Windows updates are installed automatically on a daily/weekly basis.

Could you please rephrase or elaborate if you have any further questions?

Awaiting your response!

19 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 21:00

Hi Dell-Rajesh R

I have been using Windows' own terminology rather than my own, hoping that you would understand, so there is no need to rephrase.   I had elaborated, particularly on the point of DRIVERS downloaded by WINDOWS, but you seemed to have ignored this very crux of my question.   For your benefits, I am going to repeat a key part of my previous post, and see if you can get it this time :

[ .... but when you go to (Windows 8)
Control Panel>Devices and Printers>select and right click on the Device which is your computer>and click Device Installation Settings, you will get a panel called "Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?"
Select Yes.  With that, I assume whatever hardware specific drivers updates needed by my computer will be downloaded automatically from Windows.
Therefore my question is still, why do I need to do manual hardware specific drivers updates from Dell, when the updates are going to be automatically downloaded from Windows ?
Were you saying drivers from Dell are better than from Windows ? ]

I have been asking you about DRIVERS DOWNLOADED FROM WINDOWS, but you kept ignoring this point.

3.3K Posts

April 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi M66,

Windows update searches for an updated driver for the respective hardware component at the manufacturer's website.

For example: Inspiron 17 has AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics card. Windows update will look at AMD for an updated driver.

Whereas, Dell Support Center will push an update for the same graphics card but it will be an OEM driver that is tested and then sent.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!