Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2017 00:00

Dropping cell phone on the keyboard caused hard drive failure?

Dropped my cell phone on the right hand side of my keyboard and in front of the keyboard and my laptop instantly rebooted. Each time I reboot, it takes a very long time. When I finally login, I can see all my files but they take long to open. I did the F12 diagnostics and it gave me error message: 2000-01 42 for my hard drive not working.

It seems so strange that dropping something so light on my keyboard could cause this much damage! Could there just be something that disconnected?  Is there anything I can do to save some recent photos from my computer? Any recommendations on saving files or restoring function would be appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 17th, 2017 04:00

The drive needs to be replaced - yes, a sudden shock to the drive -- even a seemingly minor one - can destroy it.

To attempt recovery, remove the drive from the system, mount it in a USB shell, and attach it to a working system.  You may be able to recover at least some data. If you cannot, there's always the option of professional data recovery, though the cost isn't inconsiderable -- it'll start at $600 or so and can easily escalate rapidly beyond that.

Something like this is what you'll need;

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Once the drive is replaced, be sure you purchase a backup drive - and keep backups going forward.

No Events found!