gipock53
1 Copper

E-1705 Monitor/display problems

I've got an E-1705 that's only a couple of years old.  A couple of weeks ago the monitor just went black.  The laptop does boot and sometimes i can see portions of the screen very faintly.  Has anyone experienced this problem.  I don't want to purchase a new laptop.  Never had a problem like this before.

Should I just purchase a separate monitor or send it back to Dell for analysis and repair?  Unfortunately I didn't purchase a service agreement and the warranty has expired.  Unfortunately, I can't access any of my files, pictures, etc. and I am so frustrated.  Also don't have any system recovery disks in case it's not a display problem and misplaced original software during move from VA to NC.

I appreciate any advice and comments.

Thanks all and have a great week,

g

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pioterpit
1 Nickel

Re: E-1705 Monitor/display problems

What GPU do you have?

I'm asking 'cause you've got probably the very same problem I have. It isn't anything related to your display matrix itself. It's just GPU failure (card or its memory).

I've got E1705 based on GPU: nvidia GF GO 7900 Gs. Mine's 20 months old only. So you're kind of lucky having one couple of years. But if it's GPU, it's gonna cost you.

take care

p

0 Kudos
1NATURE
1 Copper

Before sending the system back to dell, try conecting another monitor to see if you can work the system. If your able to see your system verify your video card configuration to be correct. If your configuration is correct, then your problem is not your computer but your monitor needs to be replace.

On other notes, I have an E1705 also but I lost everything on it and need the recovery software since I lost my partitions. Any idea where I can get them?

0 Kudos
PoBaby
1 Copper

I can't access any of my files, pictures, etc. and I am so frustrated.

5 Red Stars for FRUSTRATION! What in the world is happening?

I have had my Inspiron 8600 since 2004! Two nights ago the same thing happened! Black display! I have been using a flashlight to find my cursor and try to save what I can; but it is horribly slow and tiring!

It will show up when I push my power button quickly "sometimes"  after I let it sit awhile.  It will give me a nanosecond peek. I am in the process of trying to figure out HOW TO CONNECT TO TV OR ANOTHER PC, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on "cords" etc...  I have ordered a new computer because I know this is pushing the envelope... Like when you pay the car off.... things start to break!... Geez...

So, You're not alone from what I can see!

P.S. The only warranties I think worth buying are computer warrantees!!!

0 Kudos
PoBaby
1 Copper

So, it could be a minor prob?!

i hope so for everyone

0 Kudos
gipock53
1 Copper

I really can't afford a new laptop right now.  I've also thought about purchasing a cheap monitor but worried if I do that it could really be the graphics card as another person has suggested.  I've already paid $49 to have the problem diagnosed but I'm not sure what the diagnosis was.  The CS agent walked me through reseating the display but it didn't help.  I can't even see my display with a flashlight.  Early I tried to connect it to another PC but was unsuccessful. 

Since my warranty has expired, another option is to use the Hassel-Free Depot Repair Service where Dell will send you packaging and instructions to mail your notebook to a repair facility.  Your repaired notebook will usually be returned to you in 5-7 business days after you've shipped it.  $199 covers anything except motherboards and LCDs, which are subject to an additional charge.  To that end, I'm worried about the person info I have on my laptop and it's security during this process.

Sending my laptop will probably be the option I take but if my problem is the LCD then I probably couldn't afford to replace it since buying a new laptop would almost be cheaper.  My main concern is retrieving the data on my failed PC.

Has anyone had experience with the Depot Repair Service?  I just want my Dell back.

As always, any thoughts and recommendations are encouraged and appreciated.

Thanks all and have a great week,

George

0 Kudos
gipock53
1 Copper

Well I'm going to send my laptop back to Dell for repair.  I called the number listed for the repair service and talked about my problem.  Before they will send you packaging and instructions to mail your laptop back to them you have to pay $199 up front plus $299 in the event the LCD needs to be replaced.  If the LCD does not need to be replaced they will refund your additional $299.  that makes a total of about $500.  when I told CS I could buy a new laptop for that he knocked $100 off the LCD replacement fee bringing my total to $398 plus tax.  After Dell receives my laptop it should be returned in 8 to 10 days.  I assume that's working days.  He also said they would diagnose any problems and replace anything needed for the $199 fee with the exception of the LCD and motherboard so basically my understanding is that when I get my laptop back it will be almost as good as new.

The good news is I was also told to remove my hard drive and battery before returning the laptop to Dell to safeguard my data.

Don't want to second guess my decision but I hope it's the right one.  Not sure otherwise how I would have been able to retrieve all of my software and unsaved data if I hadn't done this.  In the meantime, I think I'll also order a backup hard drive since that's a problem I've had in the past and if it happens again I'll be prepared.  A hard drive is much easier to replace than an LCD.  And the first thing I'm going to do when I get it back is create System Recovery Disks.

I'll stay in touch and let everyone know the outcome.

Thanks,

g

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PoBaby
1 Copper

Oh man, I'm sorry the computer is too new to upgrade, etc. I tensed up when i saw how much money you are intrusting them! I have been burnt too many times... I'd never go for that kind of replace/fix proceedure.... What are the chances they won't find a 300 dollar problem?! I do HOPE they do u right.

I decided to surf around to see what was on sale this past weekend because I don't have the RAM I need to do what I want to do. I decided to go back to Toshiba because I STILL HAVE my very first laptop computer - working-! and, I believe Dell's biggest problem is their hard drives. My daughter's zapped at under one year, and I have been on a wing & prayer with mine! ! (I also know a corporation that has this problem, and all their computers are Dell). Employees have to back up every day.

I'm getting 4GB of RAM - 64 bit - and duo 250... 500GB Hard Drive!!!! I'm stoked! My only concern with any of them now adays is the new tech screens... They all burn .... Wonder how long the t.v.'s are going to last? But, if I can zoom around for years to come on it, I'll gladly buy a new !

Sorry for gloating. I do hope you get what you need/want withou having to sacrifice a car payment.

OH, for UNDER $14.00 I'm getting a cable that will transer my files!

Best of Luck,

0 Kudos
PoBaby
1 Copper

FOR UNDER $1,000.00 !!!!!!!  4GB RAM - 64BIT - 500GB HARD DRIVE

TOSHIBA....

0 Kudos
gipock53
1 Copper

PoBaby, I hope our separate and different strategies work out for the best for both of us in the end.  I got the box to ship my laptop to Dell early this afternoon.  I was really surprised since I had just made the arrangements yesterday afternoon.  The box includes instructions for mailing AND a prepaid FedEx label to attach to send my laptop to Memphis for repair.  All I have to do is call FedEx for a pickup.  Not sure how much the shipping would be if it was coming out of my pocket.  I'm kind of surprised and pleased that it's included in the $199 repair cost. 

Congratulations on your new Toshiba.  If you're experiencing the same LCD problem I am, will you actually be able to transfer your files from the Dell to the Toshiba?  I don't know enough about those software programs that transfer files.  Do you have to be able to see the screen of your Dell to transfer files?  I can't see anything on my screen even with a flashlight so I don't know if I would even be able to transfer any files.

Did you say that the new Toshiba screens experience burn-in?

Hope you enjoy your new laptop.  Good luck.  Let us know how things go.  Is it 64-bit?  I'll let you know how things go when I get mine back in about 10 days.  I do know that the next time I purchase a new PC, I will definitely buy an extended warranty.  You may never need it but in my case it would have paid for itself.

Have a great week everyone,

g

0 Kudos